Joanna Serenko Fan Thread

TeamAudra

Nice cover of “Overjoyed” from over a year ago. Very strong lower register. Between this and “Think Of Me,” I have her about two notes shy of 3 octaves. I’m guessing she can go higher and/or lower, as those notes seemed easy for her.

Edited by TeamAudra

I'm expecting her to do some popular songs like these on the show:

It's up to her creativity and she's very talented.

Another example is this cover of "Yesterday" from ~ three years ago. It's an ok cover but I'm pretty sure she can pull off a way better version now that she's got a more definite style. 

This is a cover of "Natural Woman" by an artist with a similar vibe (Rozzy Crane). I'd love to hear Joanna's version on the show :wub:

^
Damn, that’s the only version of “Natural Woman” I’ve ever heard that I like. It’s overdone, but that would go over well, and I think she could pull it off. 

It will be interesting to see how she plays this, because she can sing whatever they put in front of her. Will she stick to her preferred style, or show everything she has in her toolbox? I’m hoping for the toolbox in this case. Go for the $100K and worry about the rest later. 

10 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

^
Damn, that’s the only version of “Natural Woman” I’ve ever heard that I like. It’s overdone, but that would go over well, and I think she could pull it off. 

It will be interesting to see how she plays this, because she can sing whatever they put in front of her. Will she stick to her preferred style, or show everything she has in her toolbox? I’m hoping for the toolbox in this case. Go for the $100K and worry about the rest later. 

Yeah, Aretha's superb version is widely popular, so countless generic divas have been covering that song for ages. Only a few of them could actually incorporate the vulnerability that a song like "Natural Woman" requires. For that same reason I think a stripped down version would work quite well on the show. Joanna absolutely has the voice to pull it off. 

I'm also hoping for the toolbox, you can't play nice on The Voice :haha:

Further proof of her versatility:

In this old video she sings "Something's Got a Hold On Me", "If I Ain't Got You" and "The Heart Of The Matter" 

56 minutes ago, echoap said:

Yeah, Aretha's superb version is widely popular, so countless generic divas have been covering that song for ages. Only a few of them could actually incorporate the vulnerability that a song like "Natural Woman" requires. For that same reason I think a stripped down version would work quite well on the show. Joanna absolutely has the voice to pull it off. 

I'm also hoping for the toolbox, you can't play nice on The Voice :haha:

Further proof of her versatility:

In this old video she sings "Something's Got a Hold On Me", "If I Ain't Got You" and "The Heart Of The Matter" 

I looked at the date, and did the math. She was 14 in that video. In some of those videos going back that far, you can tell the talent was there, and she was hitting all of the notes, but she was still refining her craft and style. She had a very strong lower register, even back then. 

Here’s one from Aug 2015 that displays her power and lower register at freaking 13-14 years old. This is actually a really good cover. She could do this one on the show, tbh. 

Edited by TeamAudra

17 minutes ago, NerdN7 said:

Does anybody know in which team she is?

I’ve speculated on it, based on follows, but I’m only comfortable putting that in the spoiler thread at this stage. Go to the spoiler thread and page back a couple days. I’m about 80/20 on it until we get more information.

She's got a pretty decent stage presence as well:

Stage presence will be important because TPTB usually don't allow pop females to play instruments on stage. (Rumor has it that the harmonica is the only given option for pretty girls :haha:, jk)

Btw, we're suggesting such great songs and ideas, but who are we kidding; unless Joanna is TCO, she's most likely getting some trash picks like "Put Your Records On", "It's Too Late" and "Smooth Operator" :haha:

On 1/14/2020 at 7:19 AM, echoap said:

Didn't watch all of her covers yet (because she's got a lot), but I'd label her as a jazz pop/blue-eyed soul artist. These styles aren't popular on the show so that's why I'm a little bit concerned about Minivan's reception.

On a more positive note, she seems quite versatile so if she gets decent songs with a fair amount of crossover appeal, she might have a chance to make it very far. "Valerie" should be a pretty good start.

Sounds like you nailed it, except minivan hasn't even had their say yet. 

25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Sounds like you nailed it, except minivan hasn't even had their say yet. 

She's the type of artist that usually gets iffy song choices. The safest way is to take the screamer route but it doesn't guarantee anything either. 

She's really good though, she might end up with a good coach, who knows whistling.gif

20 minutes ago, istersay said:

it depends on what songs they sing on the show though, they can start out jazz, but if a contestant ends up on team Blake they can end up country :lmao:

Blake would be a great coach for her; if he decides to keep her alive, of course. 

22 minutes ago, echoap said:

She's the type of artist that usually gets iffy song choices. The safest way is to take the screamer route but it doesn't guarantee anything either. 

She's really good though, she might end up with a good coach, who knows whistling.gif

Blake would be a great coach for her; if he decides to keep her alive, of course. 

he's a good coach, curious to see how this goes for her

btw, I love your new siggy :lmao: so cute

if anyone wants a joanna one I made a couple in the Graphics forum

18 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Good looking girls have done well on the show before I don't think that's gonna be a problem.

Some of them really struggled.  I’m not talking about the 17 and under contestants. Everything changes after their 18th birthday. Look at who the show’s audience is. A few have done well...even won. It has to be the right situation (preferably Team Blake, IMO). 

Edited by TeamAudra

Imo, being hot isn't a problem per se. Actually, being a good looking contestant is an advantage, but that advantage can only go so far. 

In Joanna's case, she looks older than her actual age in all of her videos (in a good way). So, even if she were younger, she definitely wasn't getting the "OMG you're only x-teen" extra points. It's all there though, she's talented, she's beautiful, she just needs TPTBs  approval and/or an invested coach to have a decent run on the show. 👼

^

Yep, TPTB approval and a smart, dedicated coach is the key, because without good songs, they’re screwed. Not just good songs, but good songs for the show’s audience. And it’s not always about the talent. One of my favorite all time quotes is, “it’s not a singing competition. It’s a TV show about a singing competition.” If Joanna making it far is in the script, she will. 

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

^

Yep, TPTB approval and a smart, dedicated coach is the key, because without good songs, they’re screwed. Not just good songs, but good songs for the show’s audience. And it’s not always about the talent. One of my favorite all time quotes is, “it’s not a singing competition. It’s a TV show about a singing competition.” If Joanna making it far is in the script, she will. 

Blake is the best option out of the four coaches. Let's just hope Blake is in the "mood" for alternative contestants this season. 

I know someone doesn't want to say and I'm too lazy to troll the spoilers thread...but ya'll are saying without saying she's likely on Blake.s team .  I'm good with that.  He hasn't won in a while so it's time for TPTB to pay up. 😂 

Reality check (not that most of us need it): It's about the coaches.