American Idol alumni who are no longer working in the entertainment industry

countrynineteen

Even if someone on Idol didn't become the next Kelly or Carrie, the majority of the contestants are still working in music or in some cases, acting (Like Katie Stevens). Even many of the people who never got their major break are still working in music.

But I have seen that isn't always the case. Which notable contestants went back to a "day job" to pay the bills?

Here is what I have seen:

Jason Castro (Season 7): Now does real estate but still performs on the side. But his real estate gig is his main source of income.

Skylar Laine (Season 11): No longer does music. She was going to go to Dental School, but got married and had a kid and is now a stay-at-home Mom.

Alex Lambert (Season 9): I know he wasn't even a finalist, but he seemed to have a promising future. Lived in LA for awhile and worked on music and was on that web series. But he is now back in Dallas doing real estate.

Tim Urban (Season 9): Another contestant who stayed in LA for awhile then moved back to Texas. He got married and started a family. Not really sure what he is doing now- construction I heard?

Edited by countrynineteen

^^^^

Wow, at the above info...

All I know is who IS still in the biz, but...

Carly Smithson has been doing cosmetic stuff with eyebrows. She had a little girl awhile back and has been focusing on her family mostly... <3

Allison Iraheta isn't making music right now... Her band Halo Circus is no longer around.

She does a good job at being a background vocalist though and has done so for pro singers like Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert, at the Tonight Show with (At the time...) Jay Leno, and on FOX's AI near the end of it. :yes:

Hollie Cavanagh does gigs here and there, and still does the occasional YouTube cover, but she hasn't been putting out music for the last few years... Still waiting for a solo record from her and I hope it is sooner rather than later. :(

Michael Johns died so... :'(

• Sad 1

Some may not want to do music, and that's great if they can find other passions. Music doesn't pay the bills in a long term, so I understand that it becomes more of a side hustle for many unless their family can continue to provide.

Didi Benami is a music instructor.

Dalton Rapattoni is a vocal coach too at the School of Rock, and he seems to love his students :D

Alex Preston is in university for Marketing and Business I think. He still does gigs and puts out original music from time to time.

Michael Johns will always be missed /:

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:58 PM, frederick said:

Alaina Whitaker no longer does music anymore. She was in two groups Whitaker Malloy (with Kady Malloy and Alaina's sister) and Chasing Dixie but they disbanded and then Alaina got married, had a kid and is now working as a nurse. 

Ramiele Malubay is also a nurse now. 

On 12/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, countrynineteen said:

Skylar Laine (Season 11): No longer does music. She was going to go to Dental School, but got married and had a kid and is now a stay-at-home Mom.

Ugh I always thought she was one of the best country singers the show has produced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kamil24 said:

Ugh I always thought she was one of the best country singers the show has produced.

Agreed! I did wonder why dhe sisn't get signed after the show but she probably wanted to do classic country which labels didn't want. 

13 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

Agreed! I did wonder why dhe sisn't get signed after the show but she probably wanted to do classic country which labels didn't want. 

They were too busy trying to make Lauren Alaina a thing.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:08 AM, jazzontherocks said:

Some may not want to do music, and that's great if they can find other passions. Music doesn't pay the bills in a long term, so I understand that it becomes more of a side hustle for many unless their family can continue to provide.

Didi Benami is a music instructor.

Dalton Rapattoni is a vocal coach too at the School of Rock, and he seems to love his students 😄

Alex Preston is in university for Marketing and Business I think. He still does gigs and puts out original music from time to time.

Michael Johns will always be missed /:

dalton rapattoni is actually recording his new songs independently and still posts new music once in a while. and yes he is still working at SOR at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

They were too busy trying to make Lauren Alaina a thing.

While I like Lauren Alaina, I would have preferred them pushing Skylar over her, but I guess Lauren did get farther during her season, so fair is fair... 😒

Edited by Bk1234

On 8/9/2020 at 1:34 AM, blackfield said:

dalton rapattoni is actually recording his new songs independently and still posts new music once in a while. and yes he is still working at SOR at the same time. 

Saw that. I still keep up with him on social media. Glad he is balancing both 😄

Aaron Kelly appears to have stopped doing music which is unfortunate because he really seemed like he was going to go places. His album never got released and he never got a label. He performs once in a while but not much at all, and he literally never intreacts with fans or posts youtube videos or anything. He's basically vanished.

Edited by frederick

Kady Malloy no longer does music anymore

Sarah Burgess has completely stopped music. She did release 2 albums and had a Top 40 single with "Dangerouz" in 2008. She had a kid and stopped doing music. I think she's a stay at home mom now. 

Carly Smithson also appears to have completely ditched the industry :( 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...