A black woman never will win The Voice v.2

eidi

Do you actually think that Wé had a chance against Sundance and Billy? Third place sounds more than ok to me.

I'm not denying America's biases/preferences. I'm just pointing out that not only black females have an uphill battle on The Voice. Classic Rock people, indie quirky girls, R&B-pop males, jazz contestants and so many more genres and styles aren't well liked by Minivan.

In comparison, black female belters are waaaay more successful than all the genres mentioned above. Yet we always get the usual "America is racist" to justify why some people's favorite style/genre never gets public support. I'm pretty sure the audience is racist to a certain degree, but that alone doesn't justify why a black female has never won the show. It's more complicated than that.

Yes there are other genre's that typically struggle more on the show than others, but I don't think anyone is arguing that plus that's not what this thread is about. Black females (which isn't a genre) struggle the most on the show given that not a single one has managed to win the show in 17 Seasons & 8 years and yet ppl still try to make excuses as to why it's not really an issue or point out other types of struggles to discredit it. It's gotten to the point where black women more than any other artists are predicted to make it no further than bloodbath and 95% of the time are correct.

At the end of the day it's about representation. When looking back on a season, casual viewers (which make up most of the fans nowadays) will typically only remember who won and maybe the runner-up. A black woman has never filled that spot and in result are always forgotten. Amanda, We and Kyla are the only ones that managed to be somewhat memorable after there season and even then most ppl remember them after watching a performance or two of theirs.

Black women may not be the biggest part of the population, but they still make up a big part of it. Not saying my personal experience validates everything, but I have quite a few black female friends that sing and almost all of them expressed never trying out for the show because they know they have no chance of winning. That is a problem. You can say that America isn't racist because black males have won before, but when you look at the statistics of the show the message it sends is rather prejudice:

A black woman can be good enough to get on the show, but will never be good enough to win or even come in 2nd.

Edited by E.Stewie
  • Like 1

Yes there are other genre's that typically struggle more on the show than others, but I don't think anyone is arguing that plus that's not what this thread is about. Black females (which isn't a genre) struggle the most on the show given that not a single one has managed to win the show in 17 Seasons & 8 years and yet ppl still try to make excuses as to why it's not really an issue or point out other types of struggles to discredit it. It's gotten to the point where black women more than any other artists are predicted to make it no further than bloodbath and 95% of the time are correct.

This is all it is. I'm not sure why this other extra **** is being argued in a thread. Genre aside (this thread wasn't even talking about genre in the first place), black female contestants are handicapped on this show. Even adding genre to the equation still doesn't negate the fact that 13 out of 17 winners are white and none are black women. I'm not sure why that is even being argued. It is also interesting how the people arguing have never really shown interest in a black female contestant anyway. So what exactly are you arguing about?

I personally have accepted the fact that a black female contestant is not winning a long time ago. Additionally, the actually winners of the show don't go on to do anything really so it's not like black female contestants are missing out on much there. Thus, I don't see the need in rehashing the same topic after every season. We are pretty much beating a dead horse at this point, but I'm not going to enter this thread and deny the obvious.

Edited by joe14

This is all it is. I'm not sure why this other extra **** is being argued in a thread. Genre aside (this thread wasn't even talking about genre in the first place), black female contestants are handicapped on this show. Even adding genre to the equation still doesn't negate the fact that 13 out of 17 winners are white and none are black women. I'm not sure why that is even being argued. It is also interesting how the people arguing have never really shown interest in a black female contestant anyway. So what exactly are you arguing about?

I personally have accepted the fact that a black female contestant is not winning a long time ago. Additionally, the actually winners of the show don't go on to do anything really so it's not like black female contestants are missing out on much there. Thus, I don't see the need in rehashing the same topic after every season. We are pretty much beating a dead horse at this point, but I'm not going to enter this thread and deny the obvious.

I totally agree with you and the user above you, except for the fact that I think this kind of thread is needed, considering the amount of useless threads here (such as the multiples "Is Hoot a lock to win" and its variations), the lack of limitation for threads here and specially the opportunity to review some personal concepts that may be race biased.

For example I am japanese and latino as well and I am aware of the little representation these two races has on the show but I know that is because rarely Asian people audition (and Tessanne managed to win still) and American audience usually don't like latin music. But black women are broader than an only genre as we told in details and even so they can't reach even 2nd place, which makes me wonder what's the other factor besides racism to prevent their victory.

Edited by eidi

I'm sure this has already been discussed in this thread (but I don't really want to read through all 6 pages :haha: ), but the opportunity was there with Kyla Jade. She probably had received the most votes in T10 and T8 weeks, but TPTB's priorities were clearly different. I truthfully think the only way a black woman can win this show now is by taking a route very similar to Kyla's (pre-finale, obviously). Big, emotional ballads or songs (see "Let it Be"), bonus if it can have religious ties and a choir, that won't sound "screamy." I joke about giving them Hallelujah and a choir, but that's (sadly) honestly probably what it will take now. Kyla was there. She had the momentum and goodwill from her last two performances. I

t was almost like TPTB really wanted Kyla (and Spensha too) in the finale to help with the diversity talk, but suddenly realized they might have done too much, so they put the Kyla train in reverse and ran her over with it repeatedly :haha:

Edited by Djsoke

I'm sure this has already been discussed in this thread (but I don't really want to read through all 6 pages :haha: ), but the opportunity was there with Kyla Jade. She probably had received the most votes in T10 and T8 weeks, but TPTB's priorities were clearly different. I truthfully think the only way a black woman can win this show now is by taking a route very similar to Kyla's (pre-finale, obviously). Big, emotional ballads or songs (see "Let it Be"), bonus if it can have religious ties and a choir, that won't sound "screamy." I joke about giving them Hallelujah and a choir, but that's (sadly) honestly probably what it will take now. Kyla was there. She had the momentum and goodwill from her last two performances. I

t was almost like TPTB really wanted Kyla (and Spensha too) in the finale to help with the diversity talk, but suddenly realized they might have done too much, so they put the Kyla train in reverse and ran her over with it repeatedly :haha:

Kyla was great, but Brynn was always going to win that season. She always had the biggest follower gains, was getting the most streamed, and dominated the social media stats consistently throughout the season. They had her sing first in the bloodbath with one of the most boring songs possible, while Kyla and Britton sang later in the show with great song choices. Do you think they trying to bus Brynn in the bloodbath? You can’t have it both ways.....

Kyla was great, but Brynn was always going to win that season. She always had the biggest follower gains, was getting the most streamed, and dominated the social media stats consistently throughout the season. They had her sing first in the bloodbath with one of the most boring songs possible, while Kyla and Britton sang later in the show with great song choices. Do you think they trying to bus Brynn in the bloodbath? You can’t have it both ways.....

Brynn was more popular despite the fact she was pitchier than Kyla and Spensha. Imagine that...

You can say that she was a teen and pop but so was Kennedy and even so she didn't win.

You can say that Kennedy lost to Chevel because she was country but so was Spensha that lost to Brynn.

So you realize there isn't any other excuse than...

Brynn was more popular despite the fact she was pitchier than Kyla and Spensha. Imagine that...

You can say that she was a teen and pop but so was Kennedy and even so she didn't win.

You can say that Kennedy lost to Chevel because she was country but so was Spensha that lost to Brynn.

Ummm....I was replying to someone who said Kyla was likely leading the votes T8 and T10 weeks. Well, I guess that would imply that the audience isn't racist after all, right? Now you say you agree Brynn was more popular, which proves they are racist. I don't know what to believe anymore, and don't really care at this point, tbh. Sign up Micky Guyton, and I'll build her fan thread faster than you can blink.

Edited by TeamAudra

Whoy hasn’t this been moved to the politics section? Not that this isn’t an important discussion, but the main voice thread doesn’t seem the place for it.

What race discussion has to do with politics? Democratic, republican... I think everyone should be against racism, right?

Ummm....I was replying to someone who said Kyla was likely leading the votes T8 and T10 weeks. Well, I guess that would imply that the audience isn't racist after all, right? Now you say you agree Brynn was more popular, which proves they are racist. I don't know what to believe anymore, and don't really care at this point, tbh. Sign up Micky Guyton, and I'll build her fan thread faster than you can blink.

Brynn won, that's a sign she was more popular. If Kyla was stronger than her at some point, it was history...

It's possible Brynn was always going to win, but I wouldn't be so sure. I wish the voice released vote numbers because it definitely would be interesting to look back on. It's definitely true that Kyla didn't have the fanbase that Brynn, or even Britton had. It's one of the reasons I think the bussing was so successful (dropping her even into third). She was so dependent on casual voters that such a terrible set absolutely crippled her. What was that one site that made the aggregate social media graphs for voice contestants? Kyla had the best bar for both T10 and T8 weeks (though Brynn never was out of the top 3) before plummeting to not even being in contention for second iirc. I honestly don't think having a dedicated/vocal fanbase can win you the show. It might prevent you from being eliminated, but such a large majority of votes are casual votes that you really have to win over that audience, and Kyla had been given the songs to do so.

I think you and I were in the same boat after T8 week that we really thought Kyla had a good chance to win (I think you said you were ready to crown her :haha: ) and honestly I did think it was there for her. But after the finale performances, I was 100% expecting her to get fourth.

And to answer your question, I don't think they were trying to bus Brynn at all. The song was definitely boring, but it wasn't *bad* by any means. WTWNNIL isn't a song that would ever be received poorly by the general audience, and to that point I think it was received pretty well. It got #5 on itunes then right? And I definitely don't think opening the show is a bus position. Kyla had opened the T10 week with This is Me. It honestly felt kind of like a coast into the finale. No pimp, but definitely no bus.

But to be fair, all of this is really moot. It's just theory. We can't know without insight on the actual votes. We have no clue how many votes these artists really get, and if streaming is really a meaningful proportion of those votes at all. Just speculation

In Brynn vs Kennedy the latter was definitely better on the show.

Although I will subjectively say that Kennesy seemed kinda " bored to be a pop star" while Brynn seems a lot more organic. I think Brynn writes a lot of her own stuff.

Subjective but I dont think I'm the only one who got that vibe

Whoy hasn’t this been moved to the politics section? Not that this isn’t an important discussion, but the main voice thread doesn’t seem the place for it.

You're such a unique character let me tell you man, for this to be moved to the politics thread, your redo must be deleted since there's no one here interested in that and there's no redux. In other words this thread is exactly where it should be, race can be and should be discussed from a non political perspective.

It's possible Brynn was always going to win, but I wouldn't be so sure. I wish the voice released vote numbers because it definitely would be interesting to look back on. It's definitely true that Kyla didn't have the fanbase that Brynn, or even Britton had. It's one of the reasons I think the bussing was so successful (dropping her even into third). She was so dependent on casual voters that such a terrible set absolutely crippled her. What was that one site that made the aggregate social media graphs for voice contestants? Kyla had the best bar for both T10 and T8 weeks (though Brynn never was out of the top 3) before plummeting to not even being in contention for second iirc. I honestly don't think having a dedicated/vocal fanbase can win you the show. It might prevent you from being eliminated, but such a large majority of votes are casual votes that you really have to win over that audience, and Kyla had been given the songs to do so.

I think you and I were in the same boat after T8 week that we really thought Kyla had a good chance to win (I think you said you were ready to crown her :haha: ) and honestly I did think it was there for her. But after the finale performances, I was 100% expecting her to get fourth.

And to answer your question, I don't think they were trying to bus Brynn at all. The song was definitely boring, but it wasn't *bad* by any means. WTWNNIL isn't a song that would ever be received poorly by the general audience, and to that point I think it was received pretty well. It got #5 on itunes then right? And I definitely don't think opening the show is a bus position. Kyla had opened the T10 week with This is Me. It honestly felt kind of like a coast into the finale. No pimp, but definitely no bus.

But to be fair, all of this is really moot. It's just theory. We can't know without insight on the actual votes. We have no clue how many votes these artists really get, and if streaming is really a meaningful proportion of those votes at all. Just speculation

Assuming it was important to have Kelly represented in the finale, I just have a hard time believing they would let her open the show with that song, while giving Kyla and Britton those great songs at the end of the show, unless Brynn was in such a comfortable position that she wasn’t at risk at all. It was very clear that they felt like Kyla and Britton needed a push. I doubt Spensha was part of their finale plan, but Team Blake. In that case, a black woman beat out a white male who had the benefit of the pimp spot, and who many considered the frontrunner. IMO, Britton outperformed Spensha that night.

I think WTWWNNIL is a total snoozer. The fact that she charted that high with that song says a lot too.

Most of these are decided by the time they get to the finale. That’s why Chloe was able to cruise to victory despite having a poor night, and why the mega pimping didn’t help Kennedy dig her way out of 4th place.

Edited by TeamAudra

You're such a unique character let me tell you man, for this to be moved to the politics thread, your redo must be deleted since there's no one here interested in that and there's no redux. In other words this thread is exactly where it should be, race can be and should be discussed from a non political perspective.

Ouch! This hurted even me...

• 1 year later...

Restarting this thread, I remember some people complained that AA women never win because their R&B genre is not popular.

In this season we have so far three AA women with different styles (Pia with Reggae, Gihanna with Pop/Indie and Dana with Rock/R&B) and even so none of them managed to get a PV.

Even when they sing country, like Keisha and Spensha, they don't receive enough support to win it all.

Edited by eidi
  • Like 2

At this point, i don't think any woman of any race have a chance at winning the show anymore. In fact, the most we can expect is having one in the finale every season.

Ariana being a coach could potentially change that, but we'll see

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, rainbowconnection said:

Totally agree on this. Popular, contemporary, and easily recognizable songs will definitely help. An example could be Maelyn's run with her song choices.

Literally that entire post is incorrect. Plenty of Black women on the show have done songs other then older r&b...but go on with your stereotyping 

• Like 9

At this point I think that for a black female to win they would have to do the casting with that in mind. I hate to say it, but it’s just not going to happen naturally knowing the core audience of the show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daillon said:

At this point I think that for a black female to win they would have to do the casting with that in mind. I hate to say it, but it’s just not going to happen naturally knowing the core audience of the show.

Actually, they probably did this on S15 with Kennedy, so nevermind. 

2 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I was just thinking about the casting. They seem to specifically look for those with big voices, and with a church background, who can sing Aretha, etc, because a certain percentage of the audience loves that.  It’s the same with the middle aged, bearded, soulful, country or country adjacent singers. Well, one of those two contestant types are obviously more popular with the audience. I don’t like it any more than you do. 

• Like 2