A black woman never will win The Voice v.2

eidi

Alicia beat Blake in 2 out of 3 seasons. She was objectively popular among the viewers; at least popular enough to beat Blake.

She beat him with a white male when he had like two african american women. Any other time he has no problem getting 1st or 2nd. If anything, it proves the point of this thread?

If she had won with an African American women, I could see your point.

Edited by joe14

She beat him with a white male when he had like two african american women. Any other time he has no problem getting 1st or 2nd. If anything, it proves the point of this thread?

If she had won with an African American women, I could see your point.

Too bad a black male doesn't count to prove my point. :haha:

• Like 1

I will never understand how this "racism only against black females" works when the audience was totally happy with Alicia Keys, one of the most successful coaches in the show.

Let's be more precise then; "the audience is racist against black female contestants but not racist against certain black female coach". It just doesn't make sense :wacko:

Can't we just accept that due to whatever cultural reasons (including racism as a part, not as a whole), some styles and genres are more popular than others?

Alicia Keys was also successful before coming on The Voice. But she also couldn’t get Wé above third, which kind of contributes to the point.

Also. Look at how the audience responded to Vanessa Ferguson rapping in her performances in S12 compared to how they ate up Kim Cherry. Vanessa’s rapping landed her in the B3 after delivering one of the best performances, while Kim got a fan base because people though it was cute. :yawn:

Too bad a black male doesn't count to prove my point. :haha:

It really doesn't...black women face two distinct obstacles. To different experiences as well. So that is not even an appropriate comparison. A black male winning does not compensate for the lack of black female winners lol. Even if you wanna break it down, that's what two black male winners out of 17 seasons. And apart from Kirk, who is country and was on team Blake (only making it to 3rd) making the finale, they really haven't been that prevalent since Chris won.

Edited by joe14
  • Like 1

It really doesn't...black women face two distinct obstacles. To different experiences as well. So that is not even an appropriate comparison. A black male winning does not compensate for the lack of black female winners lol. Even if you wanna break it down, that's what two black male winners out of 17 seasons. And apart from Kirk, who is country and was on team Blake (only making it to 3rd), making the finale, they really haven't been that prevalent since Chris won.

I count 3 black male winners. Javier Colon is both black and Hispanic. Plus Jermaine Paul and Chris Blue.

I count 3 black male winners. Javier Colon is both black and Hispanic. Plus Jermaine Paul and Chris Blue.

That's still nothing compared to the plethora of white winners. But my point is a black man winning does not compensate for black women not winning. Saying it does is baseless.

The female coaches argument is kinda irrelevant imo. I don't think any are really hated, but it is interesting to note how Kelly's over-the-top personality or hate she supposedly gets hasn't stopped her from getting 3 winners in 4 seasons.

Edited by joe14

Alicia Keys was also successful before coming on The Voice. But she also couldn’t get Wé above third, which kind of contributes to the point.

Also. Look at how the audience responded to Vanessa Ferguson rapping in her performances in S12 compared to how they ate up Kim Cherry. Vanessa’s rapping landed her in the B3 after delivering one of the best performances, while Kim got a fan base because people though it was cute. :yawn:

Do you actually think that Wé had a chance against Sundance and Billy? Third place sounds more than ok to me.

I'm not denying America's biases/preferences. I'm just pointing out that not only black females have an uphill battle on The Voice. Classic Rock people, indie quirky girls, R&B-pop males, jazz contestants and so many more genres and styles aren't well liked by Minivan.

In comparison, black female belters are waaaay more successful than all the genres mentioned above. Yet we always get the usual "America is racist" to justify why some people's favorite style/genre never gets public support. I'm pretty sure the audience is racist to a certain degree, but that alone doesn't justify why a black female has never won the show. It's more complicated than that.

Do you actually think that Wé had a chance against Sundance and Billy? Third place sounds more than ok to me.

I'm not denying America's biases/preferences. I'm just pointing out that not only black females have an uphill battle on The Voice. Classic Rock people, indie quirky girls, R&B-pop males, jazz contestants and so many more genres and styles aren't well liked by Minivan.

In comparison, black female belters are waaaay more successful than all the genres mentioned above. Yet we always get the usual "America is racist" to justify why some people's favorite style/genre never gets public support. I'm pretty sure the audience is racist to a certain degree, but that alone doesn't justify why a black female has never won the show. It's more complicated than that.

Well put. I'm convinced that racism plays a role in the results, I just dont think it's the main role. Jmo.

"Black female" isn't a genre or style of music.

"Black female" isn't a genre or style of music.

They are usually old fashioned soul/gospel/rock singers. None of these genres/styles are popular enough to win the show. (See Katie Kadan)

A great test would be to bring Mikey Guyton on the show and pair her with Blake, but that’s not going to happen. She could have beaten the Hoot.

Chevel and even Brynn would have wiped the floor with him.

Edited by echoap

Yes. He was the only country singer in the top 13 in a season with an extremely polarizing frontrunner that they were trying to bus. Easy win. We should have seen it coming.

Edited by TeamAudra

Yes. He was the only country singer in the top 13 in a season with an extremely polarizing frontrunner that they were trying to bus. Easy win. We should have seen it coming.

I must admit that I overestimated Katie's appeal because she is white. :haha:

She was always very polarizing. You have to be able to separate out the noise from the signal. A lot of Katie’s apparent “popularity” was people complaining about her.

The funny part is that before the lives I said something like: "Don't worry guys, there's no way she's going to win" and right after the playoffs I was like "She's got this, she literally has no competition" :lmao:

She was always very polarizing. You have to be able to separate out the noise from the signal. A lot of Katie’s apparent “popularity” was people complaining about her.

It’s easy to get blinded by statistics. However, in those last two weeks, the Facebook comments were brutal. I think she would have been fine had she not been saddled with those song choices in the bloodbath and finale. I wonder if Republic called and told them to get rid of her. They won’t have to worry about Jake, because he won’t be signing.

It’s easy to get blinded by statistics. However, in those last two weeks, the Facebook comments were brutal. I think she would have been fine had she not been saddled with those song choices in the bloodbath and finale. I wonder if Republic called and told them to get rid of her. They won’t have to worry about Jake, because he won’t be signing.

Yep. I was convinced she won after Top 11 week. All she had to do was avoid disaster. Unfortunately for her, disaster struck in BB and finale in the form of song choices.

^That would imply Republic even cares about this show anymore. :rofl:

They don’t care, and they probably consider not having to sign the winner to be a bonus. This will make 3 of the last 4 seasons. Although Brynn technically signed, she was there for about 5 minutes, and they didn’t have to spend a dime on her. They sure as hell don’t want a country singer, and I can’t think of any reason a country singer would want them.

Edited by TeamAudra

This is hilarious. RR has no care for who wins.

They do not participate in the casting process. They do not send a rep to the pre-lives to scout the potential winners. They have no A&R effort during the lives. They do not show up for the post-season interviews.

I would bet money that no one from the label has the slightest clue about who is on the show. They’ll get around to offering the winner a perfunctory contract after a long Christmas break when someone tells them that there’s “another one from the Voice” they’re stuck with.

This is hilarious. RR has no care for who wins.

They do not participate in the casting process. They do not send a rep to the pre-lives to scout the potential winners. They have no A&R effort during the lives. They do not show up for the post-season interviews.

I would bet money that no one from the label has the slightest clue about who is on the show. They’ll get around to offering the winner a perfunctory contract after a long Christmas break when someone tells them that there’s “another one from the Voice” they’re stuck with.

I know all of that. I was just spitballing! :haha:

It still costs them some money, even though they invest the absolute minimum. Might as well not even sign them.

I know all of that. I was just spitballing! :haha:

It still costs them some money, even though they invest the absolute minimum. Might as well not even sign them.

They have a contract too.

Presumably they are required to sign the winner (if the winner wants to), but that’s it.

It would cost the same money to do the bare minimum regardless of who wins so there’s no need to invest any time or effort either.

They are usually old fashioned soul/gospel/rock singers. None of these genres/styles are popular enough to win the show. (See Katie Kadan)

Name a genre that team minivan has let win the show and I can point you in the direction of a black woman who sang that genre.

Brynn sang pop songs similar to Kennedy (who sang a fair share of contemporary songs) with less stage presence.

Chloe? Rock/Classic rock...Amanda Brown, Kimberly Nicole. Sawyer also rock. This is a genre you claim the base of the show isn't fond of.

Danielle, Cassadee, Chevel country...Spensha sang country. Keisha Renee did as well.

Alisan was as old fashion as they come. Heck she was a "screamer" and had no problem winning the show

I honestly like Katie (I personally have no problem with her voice), but if a black female's voice was as abrasive as hers, she would not have even touched 3rd place. Exhibit A Shalyah Fearing. Even the softer side of her voice is slightly aggressive. The fact that she made it as far as she did says a lot .

If anything, I feel like black female contestants only get any sort of attention when they are hitting all the high notes and singing the old fashioned diva ballads. Christiana Danielle was pretty contemporary and went home early. All the judges seem to only be impressed with the black female contestants singing the genres you mentioned. What do you think will get them attention or help them win the show?

Edited by joe14