A black woman never will win The Voice v.2

eidi

I'm probably gonna get ripped for this, but if we're basing it off vocal ability as in range and acrobats, Shi'Ann is the closest we got to a young Whitney. However, it seemed like America didn't really like her voice plus she was team JHud so...

queen whitney had personality, shi ann was dry as hell...the closest i would say was kennedy (especially after greatest love of all)

queen whitney had personality, shi ann was dry as hell...the closest i would say was kennedy (especially after greatest love of all)

I never said personality & the only reason ppl say Kennedy is because she sang a Whitney song. When it comes to matching Whitney's vocals, Shi'Ann came way closer than Kennedy. Kennedy has a beautiful voice but Shi'Ann had the ability to pull off the riffs/runs & vocal styling like Whitney. If they gave Shi'Ann a song like I Believe in You and Me, she would've snapped.

I'm probably gonna get ripped for this, but if we're basing it off vocal ability as in range and acrobats, Shi'Ann is the closest we got to a young Whitney. However, it seemed like America didn't really like her voice plus she was team JHud so...

She can do whistle which makes her range wider than Whitney's, but Whitney is not famous for her range anyway.

Technique-wise, she is nowhere close to Whitney's level. Whitney's pitch accuracy, vibrato, runs, upper belt, lower belt, head voice >>>>>>>>>>

not counting the subjective values like stage presence and tones.

I'd say Kennedy is a bit better than Shi'Ann.

The gift herself? Interesting. The problem is that the audience doesn't understand divas, they usually think they are being cocky, when in reality, they are just sassy. The voters also hate what they consider oversinging, so is always an uphill battle for any diva on The Voice.

I think it's possible for a black female to win the show, but we basically need the perfect storm + an almost perfect contestant for that to happen.

She can do whistle which makes her range wider than Whitney's, but Whitney is not famous for her range anyway.

Technique-wise, she is nowhere close to Whitney's level. Whitney's pitch accuracy, vibrato, runs, upper belt, lower belt, head voice >>>>>>>>>>

not counting the subjective values like stage presence and tones.

I'd say Kennedy is a bit better than Shi'Ann.

Realistic, none of them come close to Whitney. However, to me Shi'Ann comes a little closer to me. Where one lacks the other excels in. Kennedy has the power of Whitney while Shi'Ann has more of the vocal riffs & runs of Whitney. Shi'Ann lacks the belting power but part of that is due to her naturally raspy tone which causes her to sound strained or screechy at times. Still I think Shi'Ann would come closer to singing a song like Whitney than Kennedy. Kennedy sang Greatest Love of All beautifully, but that song doesn't really play with notes like other Whitney songs. It requires mostly belting which Kennedy did well. If Kennedy was given a Whitney song that required more riffs and runs, Kennedy would've definitely failed

Edited by E.Stewie

Someone keeps bringing up Spensha. I started her fan thread before I even knew she was country singer. Here is someone who was signed to a major label at 15 as a Gospel singer. I admire her determination to make it as a country singer, but she still to this day has a tendency to sing a country song with unnecessary runs. About a week ago, I watched a recent performance of non-country Christmas song with a bunch of extra stuff thrown in that didn’t belong. I don’t think one needed to be a country fan to notice that. She did amazingly well to make it to the finale with a supposed racist fanbase. We all know America voted two black females to the finale. You can argue Kyla should have won. Fine. The fact that she didn’t win does not prove the audience is racist.

Someone keeps bringing up Spensha. I started her fan thread before I even knew she was country singer. Here is someone who was signed to a major label at 15 as a Gospel singer. I admire her determination to make it as a country singer, but she still to this day has a tendency to sing a country song with unnecessary runs. About a week ago, I watched a recent performance of non-country Christmas song with a bunch of extra stuff thrown in that didn’t belong. I don’t think one needed to be a country fan to notice that. She did amazingly well to make it to the finale with a supposed racist fanbase. We all know America voted two black females to the finale. You can argue Kyla should have won. Fine. The fact that she didn’t win does not prove the audience is racist.

What you're saying is the problem though. The problem is that black females are expected to stay in one lane. Nowhere does it say that country music can't have riffs and runs. If that's the case Chris Stapleton shouldn't be considered a country artist. However, he's a white male so ppl think it's cool that he has soul (in other words he sounds black). However, when a black female decides to sing country and add her own soulful flare to it, it's deemed as unnecessary and "not country". The double standard is rather racist because ppl are forcing them into a stereotypical genre.

Spensha made it to the finale because she was team Blake, but throughout the entire season, there were constant comments about her not being "country enough". Also that's the only season (I believe) where an IS who so happened to be a white male placed higher than 4th and the PVs he beat out so happened to be two black women who were BOTH team Blake. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by E.Stewie
  • Like 1

What you're saying is the problem though. The problem is that black females are expected to stay in one lane. Nowhere does it say that country music can't have riffs and runs. If that's the case Chris Stapleton shouldn't be considered a country artist. However, he's a white male so ppl think it's cool that he has soul (in other words he sounds black). However, when a black female decides to sing country and add her own soulful flare to it, it's deemed as unnecessary and "not country". The double standard is rather racist because ppl are forcing them into a stereotypical genre.

Spensha made it to the finale because she was team Blake, but throughout the entire season, there were constant comments about her not being "country enough".

I like Spensha, and still keep tabs on her. I’m just telling you how I see it, as a country fan....from a musical perspective. If that makes me racist in your eyes, so be it.

Edited by TeamAudra

I like Spensha, and still keep tabs on her. I’m just telling you how I see it, as a country fan....from a musical perspective. If that makes me racist in your eyes, so be it.

I'm not saying you're racist. But if you're someone that's going to criticize a black female country singer for the same reason why you'd praise a white male country singer (not saying you are) then yeah I'm going to think it's a bit racist.

I'm not saying you're racist. But if you're someone that's going to criticize a black female country singer for the same reason why you'd praise a white male country singer (not saying you are) then yeah I'm going to think it's a bit racist.

Well, if I had a history of praising male country singers for unnecessary runs, you might have a point. I think there’s a way to do it and still make it seem more country or bluesey. That’s not what I’m talking about. It’s singing a country song the same way you’d sing a song in church. Not only are the runs a little off, but inflections too. It’s fine. She made the finale, and is still learning her craft. Everyone has something they can improve on.

Well, if I had a history of praising male country singers for unnecessary runs, you might have a point. I think there’s a way to do it and still make it seem more country or bluesey. That’s not what I’m talking about. It’s singing a country song the same way you’d sing a song in church. Not only are the runs a little off, but inflections too. It’s fine. She made the finale, and is still learning her craft. Everyone has something they can improve on.

I wasn't trying to say that you were doing that (sorry if it came off that way). I was talking about all the ppl that criticized Spensha, and Keisha, for reasons that a white male country would typically get praise for. Now Keisha, who happens to be one of my all-time favorites, had way more of a R&B/Soul flare in her country than Spensha. Spensha had great song choices and even had more of country twang to her yet ppl still said she wasn't country enough. At that point you have to look at things beyond what ppl are saying. At the end of the day, everyone has a musical preference and a vocal preference, but ppl need to stop discrediting someone's artistry because of the way they sing.

Edited by E.Stewie

Considering Amanda Brown and Kimberly Nichole placed sixth, that should've been the sign right there that a black female could demolish everyone else their season and not be appreciated by the voters. It's only gotten worse as the fanbase has dwindled to basically country fans.

Basically.

I'm sad and disappointed about this because there's been SOO many talented black women on this show that deserved to win. But I've accepted a black woman will never win this show no matter how much she slays the competition. :(

I wasn't trying to say that you were doing that (sorry if it came off that way). I was talking about all the ppl that criticized Spensha, and Keisha, for reasons that a white male country would typically get praise for. Now Keisha, who happens to be one of my all-time favorites, had way more of a R&B/Soul flare in her country than Spensha. Spensha had great song choices and even had more of country twang to her yet ppl still said she wasn't country enough. At that point you have to look at things beyond what ppl are saying. At the end of the day, everyone has a musical preference and a vocal preference, but ppl need to stop discrediting someone's artistry because of the way they sing.

I have no problem pointing it out when a white male country singer doesn’t seem country enough. There was one this season. I can’t remember who it was, or what he sang. Everyone thinks the genre is easy to sing, but it needs to be believable, regardless of the artists’ skin color. There are lots of country singers on the radio who aren’t country enough for me....almost all of them, honestly.

Mickey Guyton is “country enough” for me. Kelsea Ballerini....is not.

Edited by TeamAudra

I will never understand how this "racism only against black females" works when the audience was totally happy with Alicia Keys, one of the most successful coaches in the show.

Let's be more precise then; "the audience is racist against black female contestants but not racist against certain black female coach". It just doesn't make sense :wacko:

Can't we just accept that due to whatever cultural reasons (including racism as a part, not as a whole), some styles and genres are more popular than others?

I will never understand how this "racism only against black females" works when the audience was totally happy with Alicia Keys, one of the most successful coaches in the show.

Let's be more precise then; "the audience is racist against black female contestants but not racist against certain black female coach". It just doesn't make sense :wacko:

Can't we just accept that due to whatever cultural reasons (including racism as a part, not as a whole), some styles and genres are more popular than others?

Alicia Keys is biracial.

I think someone said it earlier in this thread, but Alicia, along with Pharrell and Usher, had a bit of a quiet presence on the show despite them all winning a season, but I don't think it was really a bad thing. Even when fighting for artists during the blinds all 3 coaches take a more timid approach which I like because they really try to connect with the artist instead putting up a good fight for TV like most coaches. It's a bit hard to dislike or even like a coach if they don't give much to work with. If you ask me America was pretty neutral on all 3 coaches rather than liked or disliked them. I think those coaches won because America liked the artists more so the coaches.

The problem is the combination of being black, female & outspoken is typically not perceived well by viewers and is usually quickly deemed as ghetto and annoying. Had Alicia been more of an outspoken character like JHud, I can almost guarantee that America would have a negative reaction towards her. Again it's really just a double standard. America hates JHud for the same reason they love Kelly. They're both female, both very outspoken, both are super enthusiastic when watching artists perform and both are powerful soulful belters. There's only one difference between the two...

Tbh I would love to see Kelly Rowland as a coach. She's outspoken but also a very calm spirit at the same time. I'm interested to see how America would perceive her.

Edited by E.Stewie
  • Like 1

I think someone said it earlier in this thread, but Alicia, along with Pharrell and Usher, had a bit of a quiet presence on the show despite them all winning a season, but I don't think it was really a bad thing. Even when fighting for artists during the blinds all 3 coaches take a more timid approach which I like because they really try to connect with the artist instead putting up a good fight for TV like most coaches. It's a bit hard to dislike or even like a coach if they don't give much to work with. If you ask me America was pretty neutral on all 3 coaches rather than liked or disliked them. I think those coaches won because America liked the artists more so the coaches.

The problem is the combination of being black, female & outspoken is typically not perceived well by viewers and is usually quickly deemed as ghetto or ratchet. Had Alicia been more of an outspoken character like JHud, I can almost guarantee that America would have a negative reaction towards her. Again it's really just a double standard. America hates JHud for the same reason they love Kelly. They're both female, both very outspoken, both are super enthusiastic when watching artists perform and both are powerful soulful belters. There's only one difference between the two...

Kelly gets a lot of social media hate for her brash, loud style. Do you read Facebook comments?

...what? What does a black female coach have to do with the black female contestants. America isn't voting for the judges. I am failing to see the correlation. And I don't remember Alicia being that popular. Not as popular as Blake at least.

...what? What does a black female coach have to do with the black female contestants. America isn't voting for the judges. I am failing to see the correlation. And I don't remember Alicia being that popular. Not as popular as Blake at least.

America isn't voting for the judges? What show have you been watching? Look no further than the heavy biases on this board. :haha:

Kelly gets a lot of social media hate for her brash, loud style. Do you read Facebook comments?

Yeah I know she still gets hate, but there's just as much people defending and supporting her. JHud get's way more hate than she does love.

Edited by E.Stewie

Alicia beat Blake in 2 out of 3 seasons. She was objectively popular among the viewers; at least popular enough to beat Blake.

The problem is the combination of being black, female & outspoken is typically not perceived well by viewers and is usually quickly deemed as ghetto and annoying. Had Alicia been more of an outspoken character like JHud, I can almost guarantee that America would have a negative reaction towards her. Again it's really just a double standard. America hates JHud for the same reason they love Kelly. They're both female, both very outspoken, both are super enthusiastic when watching artists perform and both are powerful soulful belters. There's only one difference between the two...

Tbh I would love to see Kelly Rowland as a coach. She's outspoken but also a very calm spirit at the same time. I'm interested to see how America would perceive her.

I do see the point about Kelly and Jennifer's personality but they are way different singers.

Jennifer is a super talented belted with influences in Broadway and gospel but its pretty 100 percent belting

Kelly does belt but she uses a lot of head voice and variety. She is more pop but uses a lot r and b and old school country influence in her music