American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

I have nothing against the guy personally but I think Adam Lambert is the single most overrated Idol in history.

Ok you can go ahead and ban me now lol

I definitely thought that when he was on the show, but I really like him now. :yes:

I definitely thought that when he was on the show, but I really like him now. :yes:

My main pet peeve with him is that nearly every conversation to do with Idol or other Idol alumni somehow always has to be made about Adam by his fans, even if the topic has nothing to do with him. It’s just really annoying. I read MJs a lot for example and the comment section is 90% AL doing this or that. It’s annoying for those of us who don’t care about him at all. Even a recent discussion about Alejandro taking a break from touring resulted in an unnecessary comparison between him and Adam even though Adam has nothing to do with Alejandro and there’s no reason to compare them. The conversation constantly gets made about Adam all the time and it’s like... enough already.

My main pet peeve with him is that nearly every conversation to do with Idol or other Idol alumni somehow always has to be made about Adam by his fans, even if the topic has nothing to do with him. It’s just really annoying. I read MJs a lot for example and the comment section is 90% AL doing this or that. It’s annoying for those of us who don’t care about him at all. Even a recent discussion about Alejandro taking a break from touring resulted in an unnecessary comparison between him and Adam even though Adam has nothing to do with Alejandro and there’s no reason to compare them. The conversation constantly gets made about Adam all the time and it’s like... enough already.

:lol: that's over there, I don't think it's like that on idf, at least now, most of his fans left here for another board

• Like 1

Kris Allen, Scotty McCreery, Ruben Studdard, and Kelly Clarkson (!!!) all deserved their wins!

Now I didn't watch seasons 1-5. You know... The height of Idol's popularity? So grain of salt with Ruben and Kelly, but I like them enough now to say that I would've definitely rooted for them during their AI runs...

Kris and Scotty are obvious, and not so obvious...

I started out season eight as a fan of many. Then Allison and Kris appeared. Rest was history. lol

I am also obviously a big Haley fan... So me saying that Scotty deserved his win is like saying that pigs can fly I guess. :P

Random nitpick, but some fanbases (One's I'm in...) aren't the face of the singer themselves. Adam, Haley, Scotty, whomever.

You can't judge a singer by their followers. I think more music fans need to form their own tastes and opinions in that department and not base them on blogs and big time articles opinions... :ph34r:

I think one of my unpopular opinions is that I liked Lee DeWyze during his season lol And I didn't really like Crystal at all. I also liked Caleb Johnson but a lot of people seemed to think he was like a joke contestant, despite being a very talented hard rock singer. I was also a massive fan of Dalton Rapattoni from season 15 but a lot of people hated him for outlasting their faves.

Edited by BogoGog24

I think one of my unpopular opinions is that I liked Lee DeWyze during his season lol And I didn't really like Crystal at all. I also liked Caleb Johnson but a lot of people seemed to think he was like a joke contestant, despite being a very talented hard rock singer. I was also a massive fan of Dalton Rapattoni from season 15 but a lot of people hated him for outlasting their faves.

THIS. So much this! <3

By the way... AI15's Avalon Young is underrated and deserved to go farther in the competition... ;)

P.S. Trent Harmon going the country route is one of AI's biggest disappointments for me...

Edited by Riza-Smithson

In hindsight, I actually think Season 7 is overrated by fans. Many people in the Idol bubble (and IDF) use it as some "gold standard" regarding idol seasons. Looking back and watching the performances, many of the finalists were inconsistent to mediocre. Brooke and Jason pretty much fell apart after the top 10 (sans Jason's Over The Rainbow and Brooke's very last performance). Carly, Syesha, KLC, and Michael were inconsistent- and Syesha isn't as good as a lot of the other divas we have seen on the show. It wasn't a bad season by any means, and I loved how diverse the top 12 was. Also on a positive note, David Cook was mostly consistent every week and David Archuleta was also very talented (even though he had a few missteps himself). But it was obvious those two would be the final two.

I disagree with those who say things along the lines "Nobody has ever and ever will touch Kelly Clarkson, she is the best contestant/winner ever and best there ever will be." Of course she is very talented and deserved her win 100%, especially when you consider her competition she had her season. But there have been contestants in subsequent seasons that have out sang and out performed her. Although she was very consistent, her run wasn't as flawless as some say.

After the way he acted in his later seasons, I didn't miss Simon at all after he left. Good riddance.

I didn't miss Paula either, but we could have used her in Season 9. The judges were all nasty that season. And Ellen, who was supposed to be in the "Nice judge" role didn't stand up to Simon when he was cruel to a contestant like Paula used to. It made the vibe of the season feel depressing. Its no wonder those contestants were nervous that season.

I think everybody is about to hate me now. :D :ph34r:

In hindsight, I actually think Season 7 is overrated by fans. Many people in the Idol bubble (and IDF) use it as some "gold standard" regarding idol seasons. Looking back and watching the performances, many of the finalists were inconsistent to mediocre. Brooke and Jason pretty much fell apart after the top 10 (sans Jason's Over The Rainbow and Brooke's very last performance). Carly, Syesha, KLC, and Michael were inconsistent- and Syesha isn't as good as a lot of the other divas we have seen on the show. It wasn't a bad season by any means, and I loved how diverse the top 12 was. Also on a positive note, David Cook was mostly consistent every week and David Archuleta was also very talented (even though he had a few missteps himself). But it was obvious those two would be the final two.

I disagree with those who say things along the lines "Nobody has ever and ever will touch Kelly Clarkson, she is the best contestant/winner ever and best there ever will be." Of course she is very talented and deserved her win 100%, especially when you consider her competition she had her season. But there have been contestants in subsequent seasons that have out sang and out performed her. Although she was very consistent, her run wasn't as flawless as some say.

After the way he acted in his later seasons, I didn't miss Simon at all after he left. Good riddance.

I didn't miss Paula either, but we could have used her in Season 9. The judges were all nasty that season. And Ellen, who was supposed to be in the "Nice judge" role didn't stand up to Simon when he was cruel to a contestant like Paula used to. It made the vibe of the season feel depressing. Its no wonder those contestants were nervous that season.

I think everybody is about to hate me now. :D :ph34r:

You made a lot of good points actually!

I think we tend to overrate seasons of Idol where we had a fave last long or even win!

Season 8 for example? Take Kris, Allison, and Adam out of the picture. Your season now sucks even harder than it would've with them and Gokey is your winner! :x

Edited by Riza-Smithson

The themes hindered season 7, imo. The cast was very strong, in that even the weaker links would've been middle-of-the-road contestants in other seasons. But pretty much every theme had the contestants singing songs older than them, which made no sense considering how much they were trying to find their tween Idol that year. :haha:

Kinda gonna state the obvious here, but... Aside from promoting judges, and the occasional promo for the contestants themselves?

Idol is HORRIBLE at promoting the show! >.<

This is the same brand who couldn't maintain fan magazines, trading cards, and other items like shirts in the online store for the Top 10 contestants each season. :|

For example THIS....

IPB Image

They screwed that one up SO badly by featuring only a handful of "hits" and completely ignoring other Idol alumni like David Archuleta whose hit song "Crush" is still going strong all these years later.

I don't know about you guys, but that's one promo disaster on FOX's side... :/

ABC+Maddie Poppe's debut album= Catastrophe Nothing will top that unless they also forget Laine next year. :ermm:

I agree with what you said. Adam is talented, but I agree that he is overrated. Not everything has to be theatrical and over the top when you are performing. His fans will also go off on you if you say anything that remotely criticizes him.

I have noticed that on MJ's also. Sometimes it feels like an Adam Lambert blog.

I agree with what you said. Adam is talented, but I agree that he is overrated. Not everything has to be theatrical and over the top when you are performing. His fans will also go off on you if you say anything that remotely criticizes him.

I have noticed that on MJ's also. Sometimes it feels like an Adam Lambert blog.

MJ is nice.

Her blog is very helpful.

Commenting's a b!tch.

A haiku??? :haha::P

I loved VFTW because you could freely diss peeps you didn't like AND their equally toxic fanbases. If you were lucky they let you stan certain fave contestants... :ph34rwave:

In the end... I think fans prefer newer faces over past hopefuls who only made it to point XYZ in the competition...

Now this isn't to call out Laine and make it seem like his reaudition was staged... Oh no. We've had a few winners who competed in previous seasons (Candice and Caleb...) before. It's nothing new. IMO And I'm not dissing second chance auditions/not giving up on your dream or anything like that.

I guess what bothers me is this...

Laine may have chosen to take his golden ticket and reauditioned by choice or not... We will never really know.

Past Idols on FOX's version of the show? I don't even remember seeing much of Candice or Caleb during their audition phase... In hindsight those seasons are blurry for me and not as fresh as AI17.

I guess what I'm TRYING to say... (Without coming across as a huge jerk...)

I respect those who don't give up on their dream, and I definitely respect those who worked their butts off to get to the Top 10/final 2.

I DO NOT respect whoever the Idol TPTB are who decide from the get go of a new season that...

1. This is the genre/gender we are looking for this year.

2. Idol hopeful XYZ is NOT who we are looking for this year.

3. Try AGAIN next season. (Bet that one burnt after Idol ended on FOX...)

4. We are going to find a superstar this year!!

OK. Long winded stupid post done with. :flowers:

I guess I'm just bitter because my younger sister auditioned for AI17 online and they basically said to try again, and that there was a ton of competition that season/year. :(

UMM. Did we watch the same season 17???

Besides Laine, Alejandro, and Jeremiah... Where was this "competition???" >.<

AI and its frustrating predictability... :wacko:

If you read all of that and don't hate my guts hooray! :lol: :P

It’s not exactly a secret that how they cast Idol and similar shows has very little to do with actual talent. They are casting for a TV show, so they care more about looks and personality, as well as people they think their audience will like. I auditioned for Idol online in season 13, in person season 15, and online again for this season, as well as in person for The Voice season 8, and was rejected in the first round every time. I auditioned with quite a few people I thought for sure who would get through that also were axed in the first round. And the few people I did see get through the next round I never saw on TV.

You remember that pink haired girl they kept showing on Idol season 17 but we never knew her name or heard her sing? She made it through Hollywood Week but we never saw her except in the background. That was apparently the daughter of a friend that my boyfriend’s mom knows (confusing I know lol) So we even see people make it really far yet they may never be shown singing or get their name onscreen, even though they make it just as far as everyone else who does get shown.

Then even if you are lucky enough to make it, let alone win the whole thing, it doesn’t guarantee a career. No matter how you want to get into the music business, it’s tough. And it’s tough to have a long lasting, successful career.

It’s not exactly a secret that how they cast Idol and similar shows has very little to do with actual talent. They are casting for a TV show, so they care more about looks and personality, as well as people they think their audience will like. I auditioned for Idol online in season 13, in person season 15, and online again for this season, as well as in person for The Voice season 8, and was rejected in the first round every time. I auditioned with quite a few people I thought for sure who would get through that also were axed in the first round. And the few people I did see get through the next round I never saw on TV.

You remember that pink haired girl they kept showing on Idol season 17 but we never knew her name or heard her sing? She made it through Hollywood Week but we never saw her except in the background. That was apparently the daughter of a friend that my boyfriend’s mom knows (confusing I know lol) So we even see people make it really far yet they may never be shown singing or get their name onscreen, even though they make it just as far as everyone else who does get shown.

Then even if you are lucky enough to make it, let alone win the whole thing, it doesn’t guarantee a career. No matter how you want to get into the music business, it’s tough. And it’s tough to have a long lasting, successful career.

:yes::thumbs:

Thanks for sharing your story! :flowers:

Idol isn't for my sis... Her words not mine. She'd rather be in Japan at the moment. ;)^_^

I love the ABC panel! None of them tick me off like Simon, Randy, or Harry did. :thumbs:

How did Simon Cowell tick you off? He may have given harsh feedback sometimes, but at least he kept his composure and behavior in line. Randy Jackson and Harry Connick Jr. also kept their composure and behavior in line. Katy Perry doesn’t know how to keep her composure or behavior in line. You seem to be the type of person who will defend anything Katy Perry does no matter how weird or bizarre it is and if you watched all of the episodes of season 16 and season 17, you will figure out exactly what I’m referring to.

How did Simon Cowell tick you off? He may have given harsh feedback sometimes, but at least he kept his composure and behavior in line. Randy Jackson and Harry Connick Jr. also kept their composure and behavior in line. Katy Perry doesn’t know how to keep her composure or behavior in line. You seem to be the type of person who will defend anything Katy Perry does no matter how weird or bizarre it is and if you watched all of the episodes of season 16 and season 17, you will figure out exactly what I’m referring to.

You must have blocked out Simon's nonsense during the show... Especially season 9.

Simon was just a judge I hated on Idol. Especially in his later seasons on the show. 7-9. You ever just HATE a judge for no reason? :whistling:

Me with Nicki, Mariah, Harry, Randy, and Simon. Also disliked Ellen, but so did everyone else...

Simon is better on America's Got Talent. Everyone else I mentioned can shove it...

Judges I DID like. Steven, Katy, Lionel, Luke, Keith, Jennifer, Paula, and to a lesser extent Kara.

Liking Katy as a judge doesn't = excusing her behavior, but keep assuming my likes/dislikes. :wave:

Lastly. Having a different opinion isn't the end of the world. Neither is liking someone others dislike. ^_^

• Like 1

Simon, was a cruel, sadistic freak!!!! Especially, with female rockers

• Like 2

Simon, was a cruel, sadistic freak!!!! Especially, with female rockers

Maybe some of his comments were weird, but he didn’t flirt with them like Katy Perry does with guy contestants and he definitely never did anything to them that they didn’t give him consent to. Also, I never had an issue with him judging on the show because his comments never got extremely offensive.

Edited by movieguy40