R.I.P. Gary Fan

Rate this topic

istersay

Treefroggiefreak

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:10 AM

Guys...After talking with Sahara I finally decided to do some investigative research based on what I knew about Gary.

His last day on IDF was early on October 14th. After doing some research, I've found traces of online articles and facebook groups and this is what I've found...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1535...id=153571181171

QUOTEOn Wednesday morning, Gary was in a car wreck. He was coming off of the Mauldin Road exit ramp and started to hydro-plane. He then overcorrected and hit the side of an 18-wheeler.

Currently, he's unconscious but stable. The pressure in his brain has reduced. He's also regained brain activity and is moving his arms and legs. A second surgery is planned for Thursday morning, and we should know a lot more by then.

They are admitting people in to visit him. Greenville Memorial Hospital, ICU. Even if you cannot go see him, please keep Gary and his family in your thoughts!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1593...id=159304676311

QUOTEOn the morning of October 20, 2009, Gary Fan was taken from us after a 5-day struggle to recover from a horrible car accident. He was one of the nicest, funniest, and all-around most philanthropic people in the world. This group is intended to ensure that his memory will live on in all of us. Rest in peace, Gary Fan.

I don't even know what to say now. He was so dedicated to the RE and absolutely loved this place and his series. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Wallace, Kim, or Denise, is there any possible way this could get stickied? :(

This post has been edited by Treefroggiefreak: Mar 28th 2010, 11:16 PM

Elenaic_1990

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:15 AM

I'm speechless. :'( I honestly don't even know what to say.

RIP. :'(

IdolDiva

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:14 AM

OMG!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

funkytrunks22

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:28 AM

Oh.....my God. :'(

First off, I want to say a big thanks to Josh for letting us know. :hug:

Gary posted a picture of him during his INTI Halfway Home show, and after comparing it to the facebook group pictures, it's definitely him. :'( This really sucks. He is one of the most well-known people not only in the RE, but all across IDF as well. Me and him have had several PM conversations and I really think I could have been good friends with him had this not have happened. >. He will forever be missed and will not be forgotten in my eyes. :'(

Treefroggiefreak

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:32 AM

QUOTE(David Archuleta @ Feb 28th 2010, 2:29 AM) *

I can't believe this. :'( I can't stop crying. ( :'(

I don't even know what to say. :( I was literally shaking for a good while after I found the stuff.

And I'm not sure which day is right. The facebook group says the 20th but a blog I read says the 19th. I couldn't find any actual articles that didn't require payment to dig them out of the archives. :(

I honestly had hoped that I wouldn't find something like this when I started looking. I had sincerely wanted to believe that school just got super busy in his senior year of IB and he decided to pull himself away from the RE to focus his efforts towards it. :'(

*Wallace

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:37 AM

OMG, I can not believe this. :'( My heart dropped when I saw this thread and I just started crying really bad when I saw this. :'( I've been worried months about Gary. :'( I was hoping it was nothing serious but to find this out... is just so devastating. :'( Gary was one of my first friends on IDF WAY back when I joined back in 2004 when he was only 12. He was one of my closest friends. He was such a great, intelligent young guy and someone you would totally be proud of. Ugh, I'm just so heartbroken about this and still am in tears.

R.I.P Gary. :'( :'(

miss denise

post Feb 28th 2010, 2:50 AM

OMG. I'm just.. in shock. I have no idea what to say and just sat here staring at this thread for like half an hour before I could even respond. I am so devastated by this news. My heart just sank when I saw this thread and I started crying. :'( :'( I just can't believe this. I remember when I first talked to Gary soooo many years ago and he was so nice and upbeat and a great friend. :'( I was worried about him all this time he was gone but I didn't think and definitely hoped it wouldn't have been because of this. I can't even believe it. This is just awful and I'm so upset. I can't take this. R.I.P. Gary. OMG. :'( :broken:

I remember when this happened, could not find much online :(

Gary Fan, 17

Simpsonville, SC

Gary's Bio

Summary:

Unfortunately, Gary Fan passed away at the age of 17, the date of death was 10/16/2009. Simpsonville, SC, is where Gary Fan had lived. Thomas Fleming, Christopher Howard, Jimmy Shaw, Garner Martin and Joseph Brown, and many others were family members and associates of Gary

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh Gary, was just thinking of you and had to make a new account 10+ years later to post this. RIP fellow reduxer, you were so young..:(
It's SO different at IDF, I haven't been here in years, it kills me that I can't revisit old threads and the look of the site is completely different so I'm not getting the nostalgia factor that I was hoping for when coming back here. But I am longing for those simpler times right now, coming home from school and browsing IDF, the good old days. So many good memories in the old Redux Emporium. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I’m so glad to see that there are some traces of this left. When I discovered years ago that IDF had a lapse that caused a massive loss of threads seeing Gary’s tribute thread gone hurt me the most. He was an amazing person and I was already in a dark place at the time so seeing a legacy thread vanish of someone who was such an amazing person hurt so much. I’m glad to see there’s some trace of it now. I grew up on IDF and people like Gary, Sahara, Phil, Steven, Kim, Denise, Zoey, Cam, Wallace, Daniel, and so many more provided an escape and fun time at the end of the day. I hope everyone from the old IDF days are doing well. 

Edited by Treefroggiefreak
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...