Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version

Mysteriosa

I can't believe Don Cherry finally got himself fired. I can't believe this board is broken so I can not say wow he got fired. :P On Remembrance Day?

For those unfamiliar: he implied immigrants don't wear poppies in remembrance, or I think that was what he was trying to say, because it wasn't very coherent. (you people, and something about the land of milk and honey, I am not making that up) He often goes on long tangents about police or supporting the military and no one ever stops him.

And now when I see a poppy will I think of veterans, and World War 2, and important stuff? No. I will think hey Don Cherry got fired on Remembrance Day... :rofl:

And I basically missed it, because I wasn't watching TV on Sat, I was listening to the Flames playing badly against St. Louis and losing in 3-2 OT after a comeback. There were so many complaints, and I'm like, did ALL these people actually WATCH Coach's Corner? Don't they do what I do, which is go to the kitchen and get a snack? :fear: :P

Is it right for CTV to run the clip of what he said what felt like 300 times, and then put it FIRST on the national news 3 days running? Was Ron McLean ever really listening to what Don said? Is saying Don Cherry is an old crazy guy an excuse so we can pretend some people don't feel the same way? Was it technically that bad, because I felt like he's said worse? I felt kind of like Sportsnet was really hypocritical because Cherry has previously said terrible things about injured players and never been called out on it. Should they have not fired him but given him a 10 game suspension? :shifty:

Is Sportsnet trying to save money? I checked out the Don Cherry parody twitter account and it was pretty funny. "NICE WORK PINKOS, HOPE YA ALL ENJOY COACHES CORNER WITH TIM AND SID"

The Drama. And then on Sportsnet radio, the announcers trying to distance themselves from a guy who already got fired, and then saying the word divisive so often, it sounded like a drinking game. I think CBC probably thought it great that he doesn't actually work for them anymore.

Back in July they weren't sure Cherry was coming back and someone suggested Luongo do Coach's Corner, which would be epic. Someone told me they heard someone on the radio wishing Strombo would come back and do hockey and music? Heck no!

Hilarity: CTV cornered Flames player Sean Monahan and he said those comments were wrong, while looking like he wanted to crawl under the ice and disappear. He's not really the chatty media type.

Flames are wildly inconsistent. After one of their wins the coach reamed them out in front of the media saying this is the NHL you should be able to make a pass! :lmao: Flames won over Arizona and New Jersey before losing to the Blues.

Monahan and Gaudreau have scored a tiny bit, so they remember how.

But over the weekend the Flames had lots of days off, so I don't know what to expect in the game against Dallas tonight. Could they show up for the first two periods this time?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flames lost to Arizona 3-0, and managed to have a line brawl with them. It feels kind of like we cheated on the Vancouver Canucks. :*

Ron Maclean apparently held a Coaches Corner of one. I saw a clip of it. Awkward! Cherry could have chosen his words better, but I think Ron handled it badly and his endless apologizing just feels icky. :P

I appear to be a forum of one. :w00twave:

I can't believe Don Cherry finally got himself fired. I can't believe this board is broken so I can not say wow he got fired. :P On Remembrance Day?

For those unfamiliar: he implied immigrants don't wear poppies in remembrance, or I think that was what he was trying to say, because it wasn't very coherent. (you people, and something about the land of milk and honey, I am not making that up) He often goes on long tangents about police or supporting the military and no one ever stops him.

And now when I see a poppy will I think of veterans, and World War 2, and important stuff? No. I will think hey Don Cherry got fired on Remembrance Day... :rofl:

And I basically missed it, because I wasn't watching TV on Sat, I was listening to the Flames playing badly against St. Louis and losing in 3-2 OT after a comeback. There were so many complaints, and I'm like, did ALL these people actually WATCH Coach's Corner? Don't they do what I do, which is go to the kitchen and get a snack? :fear: :P

Is it right for CTV to run the clip of what he said what felt like 300 times, and then put it FIRST on the national news 3 days running? Was Ron McLean ever really listening to what Don said? Is saying Don Cherry is an old crazy guy an excuse so we can pretend some people don't feel the same way? Was it technically that bad, because I felt like he's said worse? I felt kind of like Sportsnet was really hypocritical because Cherry has previously said terrible things about injured players and never been called out on it. Should they have not fired him but given him a 10 game suspension? :shifty:

Is Sportsnet trying to save money? I checked out the Don Cherry parody twitter account and it was pretty funny. "NICE WORK PINKOS, HOPE YA ALL ENJOY COACHES CORNER WITH TIM AND SID"

The Drama. And then on Sportsnet radio, the announcers trying to distance themselves from a guy who already got fired, and then saying the word divisive so often, it sounded like a drinking game. I think CBC probably thought it great that he doesn't actually work for them anymore.

Back in July they weren't sure Cherry was coming back and someone suggested Luongo do Coach's Corner, which would be epic. Someone told me they heard someone on the radio wishing Strombo would come back and do hockey and music? Heck no!

Hilarity: CTV cornered Flames player Sean Monahan and he said those comments were wrong, while looking like he wanted to crawl under the ice and disappear. He's not really the chatty media type.

Flames are wildly inconsistent. After one of their wins the coach reamed them out in front of the media saying this is the NHL you should be able to make a pass! :lmao: Flames won over Arizona and New Jersey before losing to the Blues.

Monahan and Gaudreau have scored a tiny bit, so they remember how.

But over the weekend the Flames had lots of days off, so I don't know what to expect in the game against Dallas tonight. Could they show up for the first two periods this time?

What a mess this whole Don Cherry thing has become.

Just generally, I'm sick of the poppy shaming in this country. It feels like something that has really ramped up in the last 5 years. I choose to wear one, but I feel like I need to wear it with a sign that says "not because I'm a good Canadian or because Don Cherry told me to."

I've said my piece about Don Cherry. I haven't watched him or cared about him in years. Meh.

The Canucks have now lost 6 of 7. They are outshooting teams most nights but can't generate goals any more. And they're terrible in OT. And they ALWAYS give up the first goal.

Brian Burke is the betting odds favourite to replace Cherry. (Yep, people really bet on that.) He's a more progressive pro-brain-damage loudmouth, so it could be a fit. And fans in Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary are very familiar with him. But they will probably do some kind of feature segment in the short term.

Flames lost to Arizona 3-0, and managed to have a line brawl with them. It feels kind of like we cheated on the Vancouver Canucks. :*

Ron Maclean apparently held a Coaches Corner of one. I saw a clip of it. Awkward! Cherry could have chosen his words better, but I think Ron handled it badly and his endless apologizing just feels icky. :P

I appear to be a forum of one. :w00twave:

Ron had to apologize to Don for hurting his feelings in his apology for Don's comments about immigrants the week before. It's very Canadian meta. Ron's "address" last night was awkward. This has obviously been hard for him.

I'm back...

Just generally, I'm sick of the poppy shaming in this country. It feels like something that has really ramped up in the last 5 years. I choose to wear one, but I feel like I need to wear it with a sign that says "not because I'm a good Canadian or because Don Cherry told me to."

Don Cherry told me to, should totally be a thing. Maybe on a button.

The Canucks have now lost 6 of 7. They are outshooting teams most nights but can't generate goals any more. And they're terrible in OT. And they ALWAYS give up the first goal.

:fear: You're the Flames?!!!

Flames lost 4 games in a row. They lost to Vegas 6-0. Then they lost to Colorado 3-2 (the first time they've scored in three games) (and they wait till the end to try and save it, then run out of time). The people scoring are not the ones being paid the big money. The lines are shuffled so much someone on the radio said "go home Flames lines, you're drunk!" :P

The coach has a familiar crabby expression I've seen on ex-coaches before him.

Brian Burke is the betting odds favourite to replace Cherry. (Yep, people really bet on that.)

I've decided to give up segments. I pretty much had anyway. I see it as time I could spend doing chores in the intermission. :rofl:

Burke does a thing on Sportsnet radio called something like No BS, except it is so short I always zone out and then realize I've missed it because it's like a minute long and absolutely full of BS which is probably why I don't pay attention...

Ron had to apologize to Don for hurting his feelings in his apology for Don's comments about immigrants the week before. It's very Canadian meta. Ron's "address" last night was awkward. This has obviously been hard for him.

I'm back...

Ron is kind of a weasel.

Coach's Corner seemed to be pre-recorded, so someone at Sportnet could have edited the bit about immigrants out, except they didn't bother, which makes it seem like they let it run on purpose.

The only thing that works on the Flames team is the goalies. We've finally solved the goaltending and everything else has gone to heck.

Oooooooo. Babcock just got fired. It's like all the fantasy stuff happening in one month. Look, Leafs are losing!

Yay, you're back. The forum still isn't fixed, but I started a thread because I have a broken team to complain about. :haha:

Edited by Mysteriosa

Don Cherry told me to, should totally be a thing. Maybe on a button.

Don Cherry has a podcast now. That he does with his grandson and son. I haven't listened, obviously, but apparently the first one was predictably bad.

:fear: You're the Flames?!!!

Flames lost 4 games in a row. They lost to Vegas 6-0. Then they lost to Colorado 3-2 (the first time they've scored in three games) (and they wait till the end to try and save it, then run out of time). The people scoring are not the ones being paid the big money. The lines are shuffled so much someone on the radio said "go home Flames lines, you're drunk!" :P

Yeah, the Canucks have also had a rotten November, but they've at least got three wins and picked up a couple loser points. They beat Nashville last night. It's weird, the Preds are the one team that has soundly outplayed them based on underlying metrics, but the Canucks, who can't seem to beat anyone else, have won both games. They kept taking dumb penalties last night and couldn't kill any of them (Canucks had 5 PP goals). Washington tomorrow, early start, which should be a guaranteed loss.

I have noticed Nashville has a southern equivalent of Calgary's Tina. Every time I watch a Preds game, she is sitting there, behind the bench.

IPB Image

The Flames feel like they are in freefall mode. They've been shut out in three straight road losses. There are Gaudreau trade rumours. After they lost 5-0 in St. Louis last night, their team plane had to be grounded due to mechanical issues. Sounds like fun.

Btw, Friedman talked a lot about the Flames and had a lot of tidbits on them in his last podcast, RE what players they might trade, Bill Peters's job security, etc. It starts at around 8:15 below:

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/no...ockey-universe/

Says they want to make trades, but they're not at trading Gaudreau yet. And the organization isn't going to let the players run another coach out of town like they did with Gulutzan.

Burke does a thing on Sportsnet radio called something like No BS, except it is so short I always zone out and then realize I've missed it because it's like a minute long and absolutely full of BS which is probably why I don't pay attention...

Ron is kind of a weasel.

Coach's Corner seemed to be pre-recorded, so someone at Sportnet could have edited the bit about immigrants out, except they didn't bother, which makes it seem like they let it run on purpose.

Same. I usually mute it and play music during intermissions. I won't lie though, I don't really mind Burke as a commentator.

I heard that too. The Coach's Corner segment was recorded about three hours before it ran. They could have re-shot it if Ron, or anyone else on the crew, had realized what he'd said would become a big issue.

Not to defend Don Cherry at all, but Ron did kind of weasel away. I think he knew what Cherry was saying, but he didn't have the energy or courage to challenge him on it. He claimed he was forced to choose his principles over friendship in apologizing and condemning Don, but it seems much more likely that he chose his job security over friendship.

Oooooooo. Babcock just got fired. It's like all the fantasy stuff happening in one month. Look, Leafs are losing!

Yay, you're back. The forum still isn't fixed, but I started a thread because I have a broken team to complain about. :haha:

It was surprising and not at the same time. After Lou Lamoriello and Mark Hunter were forced out/fired, you knew Babcock was next. I didn't think they'd fire him when they did though. Conventional wisdom was that he'd get one more kick at the playoffs. Even with the start as bad as they've had, I at least thought they'd give him until Marner came back, or at least until the road trip ended.

Leafs fans are pretty gleeful he's gone. It's funny how the media in Toronto never challenged Babcock at all or reported anything negative about him. As soon as he was fired, they're all relaying anecdotes about how prickly Babcock was and how no one in the organization could stand him.

Yep! I'm starting to think they won't repair the old treads, so it's just as well. :P

Edited by RWG

I have noticed Nashville has a southern equivalent of Calgary's Tina. Every time I watch a Preds game, she is sitting there, behind the bench.

IPB Image

Hmm. Cool.

The Flames feel like they are in freefall mode. They've been shut out in three straight road losses. There are Gaudreau trade rumours. After they lost 5-0 in St. Louis last night, their team plane had to be grounded due to mechanical issues. Sounds like fun.

Everyone is like PANIC, PANIC NOW! :lol:

Their scoring is like 2 out of the last 141 shots went in. I'm thinking now that maybe we should get them glasses.

The team plane is obviously a metaphor. :shifty:

There are a lot of injuries too. TJ Brodie collapsed in practice last week and now they think he fainted, which doesn't explain why he apparently convulsed, but he hasn't played since. Hamonic and Bennett are out. Mangiapane got flattened in the last game and didn't return to the ice.

However the worst line is basically our first line. :ph34r:

Btw, Friedman talked a lot about the Flames and had a lot of tidbits on them in his last podcast, RE what players they might trade, Bill Peters's job security, etc. It starts at around 8:15 below:

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/no...ockey-universe/

Says they want to make trades, but they're not at trading Gaudreau yet. And the organization isn't going to let the players run another coach out of town like they did with Gulutzan.

I've have to listen to that. It is weird how it's always the same problems no matter who the coach is. Makes me think there is no one in the room that can get the team to rally. Maybe they all need to go to a museum or something...

Supposedly the players had a player only meeting after the last game.

I imagine it was something like "we suck" "yes we do" "hey Gaudreau/Monahan/Giordano/Rittich/everybody, stop giving the puck away" :P

I heard that too. The Coach's Corner segment was recorded about three hours before it ran. They could have re-shot it if Ron, or anyone else on the crew, had realized what he'd said would become a big issue.

Not to defend Don Cherry at all, but Ron did kind of weasel away. I think he knew what Cherry was saying, but he didn't have the energy or courage to challenge him on it. He claimed he was forced to choose his principles over friendship in apologizing and condemning Don, but it seems much more likely that he chose his job security over friendship.

When they said Coach's Corner was only 7 minutes long I was amazed. It always felt much longer. I begin to wonder if anyone was actually listening to what Cherry was saying.

Yeah, I would have thought that after working with someone that long, Ron might have been a little more loyal than that. And saying he couldn't stand by while Cherry said this awful thing, after he sat there and nodded his head while he said it! Um...whatever.

It was surprising and not at the same time. After Lou Lamoriello and Mark Hunter were forced out/fired, you knew Babcock was next. I didn't think they'd fire him when they did though. Conventional wisdom was that he'd get one more kick at the playoffs. Even with the start as bad as they've had, I at least thought they'd give him until Marner came back, or at least until the road trip ended.

Leafs fans are pretty gleeful he's gone. It's funny how the media in Toronto never challenged Babcock at all or reported anything negative about him. As soon as he was fired, they're all relaying anecdotes about how prickly Babcock was and how no one in the organization could stand him.

I think firing him would be more expensive than keeping him.

LOL. Makes me think of how Darryl the GM and Brent Sutter the Flames coach weren't speaking to each other at the end. Leafs fans be crazy.

Babcock always looks really determined to get his own way. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who listens to anybody else.

The NHL suspended Garnet Hathaway three games for spitting on Erik Gudbranson. They were fine with Brad Marchand licking guys two seasons ago though. I guess spitting is more culturally degrading, but it's OK to put your saliva directly on the other player's face using your tongue, but not to send it through the air?

Roberto Bortuzzo should get at least 4 games for that trash on Viktor Arvidsson. Arvidsson is going to be out 4-6 weeks now. Because there was no contact with the head, and because the head of the department of player safety collaborates with a clothing brand called Violent Gentlemen, I imagine this will be deemed part of the game and worthy of a one-game suspension or fine.

Washington tomorrow, early start, which should be a guaranteed loss.

They actually pulled this one out, 2-1 in a shootout.

Edler got injured though. We had made it REALLY far into the season without an Edler or Tanev injury.

There are a lot of injuries too. TJ Brodie collapsed in practice last week and now they think he fainted, which doesn't explain why he apparently convulsed, but he hasn't played since. Hamonic and Bennett are out. Mangiapane got flattened in the last game and didn't return to the ice.

However the worst line is basically our first line. :ph34r:

I've have to listen to that. It is weird how it's always the same problems no matter who the coach is. Makes me think there is no one in the room that can get the team to rally. Maybe they all need to go to a museum or something...

What happened to Brodie was scary. It's awkward because that's the player you've heard about them trading for a long time.

If the Flames don't turn it around and make the playoffs, I think Treliving will be forced to address the nucleus of the team, not the coach.

When they said Coach's Corner was only 7 minutes long I was amazed. It always felt much longer. I begin to wonder if anyone was actually listening to what Cherry was saying.

I think it was 5-7 minutes, mercifully.

I do like the 2nd intermission segment, Headlines. Even if it is just half Leafs stories.

LOL. Makes me think of how Darryl the GM and Brent Sutter the Flames coach weren't speaking to each other at the end. Leafs fans be crazy.

Babcock always looks really determined to get his own way. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who listens to anybody else.

Babcock and Dubas were like two single people with that really annoying mutual friend (Shanahan) who thought they'd be a great couple and forced them to date, when it obviously wasn't going to work form the start.

Babcock is overrated. I think we know that now. He already was, but he hasn't shown any willingness to adapt to the modern game in the last 10 years, either.

Friedman said Babcock is going to take some time before coaching again, which makes sense given how much the Leafs are going to be paying him to not work now.

The NHL suspended Garnet Hathaway three games for spitting on Erik Gudbranson. They were fine with Brad Marchand licking guys two seasons ago though. I guess spitting is more culturally degrading, but it's OK to put your saliva directly on the other player's face using your tongue, but not to send it through the air?

The way it was reported here you would think he still played for the Flames.

The licking thing is like something I made up. I remember watching a game and the commentator said well at least Marchand hasn't licked anyone yet...

Roberto Bortuzzo should get at least 4 games for that trash on Viktor Arvidsson. Arvidsson is going to be out 4-6 weeks now. Because there was no contact with the head, and because the head of the department of player safety collaborates with a clothing brand called Violent Gentlemen, I imagine this will be deemed part of the game and worthy of a one-game suspension or fine.

Violent Gentlemen? Seriously? That doesn't seem right. :lol:

What happened to Brodie was scary. It's awkward because that's the player you've heard about them trading for a long time.

If the Flames don't turn it around and make the playoffs, I think Treliving will be forced to address the nucleus of the team, not the coach.

Brodie gets a lot of criticism as a player but no one actually dislikes him as a person.

Flames managed an ugly win against Philadelphia Saturday. Then they lost to the Penguins 3-2. I really thought we might win for a moment there.

Last night on Twitter a former Flames player accused the coach of saying racist things 10 yrs ago in the AHL. (I still find it amazing how people believe everything someone says on Twitter before any kind of proof)

Today it seems the story was corroborated. Well that was unexpected. Hmm. Someone suggested we get Darryl Sutter to be our coach. And it's only Tuesday. :ph34rwave: :|

I do like the 2nd intermission segment, Headlines. Even if it is just half Leafs stories.

Oh, Leafs, I've heard of them!

Babcock and Dubas were like two single people with that really annoying mutual friend (Shanahan) who thought they'd be a great couple and forced them to date, when it obviously wasn't going to work form the start.

:rofl:

Babcock is overrated. I think we know that now. He already was, but he hasn't shown any willingness to adapt to the modern game in the last 10 years, either.

But bonus marks for convincing the Leafs he was all that, and making them pay more than anyone has before. :P

OK so we're Entertainment now? I couldn't find anything.

Edited by Mysteriosa

Violent Gentlemen? Seriously? That doesn't seem right. :lol:

Yup. Here is the head of the department of player safety.

IPB Image

Kinda tone deaf.

Last night on Twitter a former Flames player accused the coach of saying racist things 10 yrs ago in the AHL. (I still find it amazing how people believe everything someone says on Twitter before any kind of proof)

Today it seems the story was corroborated. Well that was unexpected. Hmm. Someone suggested we get Darryl Sutter to be our coach. And it's only Tuesday. :ph34rwave: :|

Peters "submitted a letter of resignation" today. Which is to say they fired him after reaching some kind of agreement wherein he publicly resign. I'm sure one day we'll find out how much they had to pay him. I think other teams would have just fired him, but Alberta has some law about firing people based on behaviour that pre-dates their employment with the current employer.

I don't really know what to say about Peters. The stuff with Akim Aliu is racist and gross, and it was fully corroborated. Peters basically ruined hockey for him. And the hitting/kicking his players in Carolina is another issue altogether. #BadGuy. I don't believe anyone is beyond redemption, but the most generous thing I could say about Peters is that he needs anger management counseling.

On a larger scale, the horse is out of the barn now. We've now heard stuff about Peters, Babcock, Marc Crawford, both Sutter brothers, and Bob Hartley. You never know who else, but based on their profiles, none of the coaches who've been singled out so far are that surprising. These stories are bad for hockey, but if they lead to teams having actual HR practices and rules instead of letting some shitkicker coach make his own rules about how players can be treated, maybe some good can come out of it.

Shane O'Brien went on an Athletic podcast yesterday and said once Hartley was so verbally abusive with Sven Baertschi when he was a rookie in Calgary that he actually made Baertschi cry. O'Brien said he had to console Baertschi... "I've played for a lot of coaches, that guy's a ****ing ****." He also said he wanted to beat up Hartley...

But bonus marks for convincing the Leafs he was all that, and making them pay more than anyone has before. :P

OK so we're Entertainment now? I couldn't find anything.

Oh I give him credit for that. Mike Babcock knows how to work the media; he's great at making Mike Babcock look good. Brilliant conman.

Ugh. I guess it is technically entertainment.

The Canucks lost 2-1 in Philadelphia and 8-6 in Pittsburgh, in a game in which they led 6-3 in the 3rd. Their possession metrics have fallen off a cliff with Sutter and Beagle injured, which is to say this team is not nearly as deep as Jim Benning promised it was.

Home-and-home with the Oilers this weekend. Fully expecting 0 points in Edmonton, maybe 1 in Vancouver on Sunday.

In fairness, the November schedule was brutal for Vancouver. They're mostly at home until early January now. I'm going to the game December 28th against LA! Also going to the Canucks/Leafs game in Toronto on February 20.

Yup. Here is the head of the department of player safety.

IPB Image

Kinda tone deaf.

Wow. OK then. No wonder that department is messed up.

Peters "submitted a letter of resignation" today. Which is to say they fired him after reaching some kind of agreement wherein he publicly resign. I'm sure one day we'll find out how much they had to pay him. I think other teams would have just fired him, but Alberta has some law about firing people based on behaviour that pre-dates their employment with the current employer.

I don't really know what to say about Peters. The stuff with Akim Aliu is racist and gross, and it was fully corroborated. Peters basically ruined hockey for him. And the hitting/kicking his players in Carolina is another issue altogether. #BadGuy. I don't believe anyone is beyond redemption, but the most generous thing I could say about Peters is that he needs anger management counseling.

Someone pointed out that Peters resigned on Black Friday. :shifty: o:)

I had mixed feelings. It turned out to be corroborated and that language is not acceptable. However I really don't think Aliu was a brilliant hockey player kept down by the system, he was just an OK one. I think there are better ways to bring up grievances than to throw them out on Twitter 10 years later. If there had been no proof and he was someone just trying to stir it up, how as a coach could you clear your name once it was out on the internet?

The sports commentators were acting all shocked when it seems all kinds of stuff is being dealt with behind closed doors. I am curious as to whether any of this stuff gets reported to the NHL when the team 'deals' with it. I'm thinking not. And in a lot of cases some people think it was 'dealt with' and other people involved say it wasn't. It was a little odd when people say hockey needs to change, but the incident happened 10 yrs ago.

The hitting stuff was more interesting only because it didn't happen that long ago (2015/16) and GM Treliving had decided to hire Peters in 2018 and didn't talk to any other candidates. Bet he regrets that now.

No one from Carolina ever bothered to tell him about the kicking thing. Might explain why Carolina did nothing but win once they got rid of him. I never understood why we took a coach from a terrible team as if he had nothing to do with it! Carolina claims they told ownership but ownership didn't seem to know either.

And what would have happened if Aliu had talked about this stuff last year when Calgary was winning not losing? And what about all the times Peters worked with Hockey Canada? He's been a coach for eons.

I think part of the reason they didn't just fire him was that the NHL was talking to Treliving about what they wanted to do, and that the Flames were hoping to get rid of him without having to pay his entire salary. Plus it wasn't as if he had done it to one of their players last week, he didn't even work for them at the time.

On a larger scale, the horse is out of the barn now. We've now heard stuff about Peters, Babcock, Marc Crawford, both Sutter brothers, and Bob Hartley. You never know who else, but based on their profiles, none of the coaches who've been singled out so far are that surprising. These stories are bad for hockey, but if they lead to teams having actual HR practices and rules instead of letting some shitkicker coach make his own rules about how players can be treated, maybe some good can come out of it.

I found myself agreeing with Evander Kane? When he said it wasn't right to lump Peters in with Babcock. Racism and being a total jerk are not the same thing.

Somehow I didn't feel terribly bad for him when Sean Avery complained the coach kicked him. Avery isn't exactly poster boy for great behaviour. The thing with Marner is like psychological torture, or at least humiliation. It's almost immature.

The thing with Franzen is awful and apparently they said anyone who disagreed with how he was treated would be traded, so I think the other players should have shown solidarity. What are they going to do, trade the whole team? It is more evidence that the NHL has never taken concussion damage seriously.

Shane O'Brien went on an Athletic podcast yesterday and said once Hartley was so verbally abusive with Sven Baertschi when he was a rookie in Calgary that he actually made Baertschi cry. O'Brien said he had to console Baertschi... "I've played for a lot of coaches, that guy's a ****ing ****." He also said he wanted to beat up Hartley...

There was always something weird going on between Hartley and Baertschi. Baertschi's father used to interfere a lot at the time in every decision concerning his son. Hartley didn't like Baertschi at all and everything he did showed it, didn't play him, sent him down a lot, until they traded him. I don't know if it was because of the Dad's behaviour, or something that had happened between the coach and player, or what. I was glad B. got a new start in Vancouver. Lots of people say stuff now, but didn't do anything at the time it was happening.

Sutters and tough love, who knew? :P I think the NHL has given coaches a pass because they are still working on the Cherry model of the idea the right tough coach can whip them into shape. Plus I'm guessing when you are coaching millionaires, it is hard to get them to pay attention, but there should be a limit to how far they go. It does seem to bring out the crazy. Gulutzan and the stick throwing incident.

The Canucks lost 2-1 in Philadelphia and 8-6 in Pittsburgh, in a game in which they led 6-3 in the 3rd. Their possession metrics have fallen off a cliff with Sutter and Beagle injured, which is to say this team is not nearly as deep as Jim Benning promised it was.

Oh no! Someone save Beagle! #beaglefan

So Coach Peters was not allowed to be with the team in Buffalo, and instead we had the assistant coach Ward behind the bench, along with Craig Conroy the assistant GM, and Martin Gelinas who is usually upstairs in the box! (these last two are former Flames players now on staff) Which was cool, but weird and how much extra help will fit behind one bench? And the Flames WON 3-2 in OT and looked as happy as clams. The coach is in trouble? Darn, that's too bad... I saw a smile from Gaudreau when he was talking to the Buffalo goalie.

Then the coach resigned/got tossed and the Flames played the next day against Ottawa and WON 3-1. :w00t:

To be honest, I expected Peters to lose his job because of the Flames losing so much, not because he had secrets in his closet. Now he's gone they are described as "much looser" ! You can tell they miss him terribly... :whistling:

Flames won over Buffalo 4-3. If Buffalo had more time they probably would have tied it, waking up in the 3rd.

Flames took a lot of penalties though. Lucic scored, and so did Gaudreau. :flowers:

The building of a new arena is official, the City finally signed the papers.

I read Matt Stajan officially retired. He still lives in Calgary.

Canucks just had one game this week; they beat Ottawa 5-2 after building a 4-0 lead in the 1st.

Alex Burrows was indicted into the Ring of Honour. I just love Burr. He was an undrafted player who scrapped his way from the ECHL to the top-line of a team that was the best in the NHL while he was on it. The other thing that makes him special to us is that the rest of the fans in the league still think he's some kind of subhuman. He was no angel as a player and admits/apologizes for it now, but still, no one else gets him. Just us.

Canucks are mostly at home this month after road-heavy December. They play Buffalo tomorrow in a matinee. What is with all these stupid daytime Saturday games? Like the Leafs or Habs ever have to do these. :rolleyes:

I had mixed feelings. It turned out to be corroborated and that language is not acceptable. However I really don't think Aliu was a brilliant hockey player kept down by the system, he was just an OK one. I think there are better ways to bring up grievances than to throw them out on Twitter 10 years later. If there had been no proof and he was someone just trying to stir it up, how as a coach could you clear your name once it was out on the internet?

The sports commentators were acting all shocked when it seems all kinds of stuff is being dealt with behind closed doors. I am curious as to whether any of this stuff gets reported to the NHL when the team 'deals' with it. I'm thinking not. And in a lot of cases some people think it was 'dealt with' and other people involved say it wasn't. It was a little odd when people say hockey needs to change, but the incident happened 10 yrs ago.

The hitting stuff was more interesting only because it didn't happen that long ago (2015/16) and GM Treliving had decided to hire Peters in 2018 and didn't talk to any other candidates. Bet he regrets that now.

No one from Carolina ever bothered to tell him about the kicking thing. Might explain why Carolina did nothing but win once they got rid of him. I never understood why we took a coach from a terrible team as if he had nothing to do with it! Carolina claims they told ownership but ownership didn't seem to know either.

And what would have happened if Aliu had talked about this stuff last year when Calgary was winning not losing? And what about all the times Peters worked with Hockey Canada? He's been a coach for eons.

I think part of the reason they didn't just fire him was that the NHL was talking to Treliving about what they wanted to do, and that the Flames were hoping to get rid of him without having to pay his entire salary. Plus it wasn't as if he had done it to one of their players last week, he didn't even work for them at the time.

Aliu probably still wouldn't have turned into a regular NHLer--most 20-year-olds in the AHL don't--but he didn't deserve to have his career ruined like that. Peters not only said what he did to him, he immediately sent him down when Aliu talked back to him and then told other coaches he was toxic. Aliu didn't even have a chance.

I feel like most of the coaches caught up in this--except for Peters--can rehabilitate themselves enough to get work in the NHL. Babcock will give it some time, do a sit down interview with one of the media shills about how he's done some thinking and reflected and realized he has to change and treat people better duduh duduh duduh. And then he'll probably get a job. But Peters, because of what he said, would just to way too much of a PR disaster for any team to want to put with.

The other thing about Peters is that for all his tactics, he doesn't even seem to get results? He just lost in Carolina, and as soon as he left they took off and became one of the best teams in the conference. And he coached a stacked Calgary to a first-place finish that culminated in a brutal first-round upset, and then a season that got off to a disastrous start, and that was it. Like, what would the temptation be for any coach to hire him?

I found myself agreeing with Evander Kane? When he said it wasn't right to lump Peters in with Babcock. Racism and being a total jerk are not the same thing.

Somehow I didn't feel terribly bad for him when Sean Avery complained the coach kicked him. Avery isn't exactly poster boy for great behaviour. The thing with Marner is like psychological torture, or at least humiliation. It's almost immature.

I don't think this is the slippery slope many are making it out to be. The conclusion I think the league should land on is this: you can't be a racist or physically abuse your players. You CAN use any other motivational tactics--including yelling at them--at your own risk. I think what most of the yellers will find out is that their players will tune them out pretty fast, the team will lose, and they'll get fired.

And yeah, Avery himself has a history of using racial slurs on the ice, made gross comments about Dion Phaneuf's girlfriend (now wife) when he started dating her, and mocked Dustin Brown's speech impediment. Don't care what he has to say. Same with Evander Kane tbh.

The thing with Franzen is awful and apparently they said anyone who disagreed with how he was treated would be traded, so I think the other players should have shown solidarity. What are they going to do, trade the whole team? It is more evidence that the NHL has never taken concussion damage seriously.

I found Franzen's comments interesting because they revealed this whole veneer that was built around Mike Babcock. He wasn't just hard on his players, but a terrible person in general who would go off on random people who just worked at the arena. For almost two decades he upheld this perception of himself as a sage, teacher, mental health advocate, charmer with the media, etc.

This has also revealed a lot about the media. Bob McKenzie was on a Vancouver station, and he and the host exchanged stories about how they'd both heard Babcock was loathed in Detroit by the end of his tenure, that the players tried to get him fired after every season, and the organization in general was happy to see him go. It's quite amazing for someone like Bob McKenzie to claim to have known all this all along and just sit on it...

There was always something weird going on between Hartley and Baertschi. Baertschi's father used to interfere a lot at the time in every decision concerning his son. Hartley didn't like Baertschi at all and everything he did showed it, didn't play him, sent him down a lot, until they traded him. I don't know if it was because of the Dad's behaviour, or something that had happened between the coach and player, or what. I was glad B. got a new start in Vancouver. Lots of people say stuff now, but didn't do anything at the time it was happening.

Unfortunately, Baertschi is back in the AHL again, and will probably soon be getting a new fresh start with another organization.

His attitude has been great though. He never complains, even when the team sent him down right after this birth of his first child. Everyone who's run in to him has said how friendly he is. And he and his wife did a fundraiser a while ago where they spent a night in an animal rescue shelter to raise money. Baertschi just seems like the sweetest person ever. **** Bob Hartley, I cannot stand him.

Sutters and tough love, who knew? :P I think the NHL has given coaches a pass because they are still working on the Cherry model of the idea the right tough coach can whip them into shape. Plus I'm guessing when you are coaching millionaires, it is hard to get them to pay attention, but there should be a limit to how far they go. It does seem to bring out the crazy. Gulutzan and the stick throwing incident.

Yeah, as soon as media people started saying this was just the beginning and other coaches were going to be named, the first name I thought of was the Sutters. The thing where the Kings locked the dressing room so Darryl couldn't get in came to mind.

I don't know if it's the Cherry model. I feel like all of his descends from Scotty Bowman and the success he had being a major assh0le to his players wherever he went.

Flames won over Buffalo 4-3. If Buffalo had more time they probably would have tied it, waking up in the 3rd.

Flames took a lot of penalties though. Lucic scored, and so did Gaudreau. :flowers:

The building of a new arena is official, the City finally signed the papers.

I read Matt Stajan officially retired. He still lives in Calgary.

Lol a Lucic goal. At least James Neal only has... 14. I can't believe Treliving did that trade. Was he high when Holland called him?

Edited by RWG

Alex Burrows was indicted into the Ring of Honour. I just love Burr. He was an undrafted player who scrapped his way from the ECHL to the top-line of a team that was the best in the NHL while he was on it. The other thing that makes him special to us is that the rest of the fans in the league still think he's some kind of subhuman. He was no angel as a player and admits/apologizes for it now, but still, no one else gets him. Just us.

I don't know. I liked watching him play with the Sedins. I remember watching interviews with him about it.

Canucks are mostly at home this month after road-heavy December. They play Buffalo tomorrow in a matinee. What is with all these stupid daytime Saturday games? Like the Leafs or Habs ever have to do these. :rolleyes:

Aliu probably still wouldn't have turned into a regular NHLer--most 20-year-olds in the AHL don't--but he didn't deserve to have his career ruined like that. Peters not only said what he did to him, he immediately sent him down when Aliu talked back to him and then told other coaches he was toxic. Aliu didn't even have a chance.

He played 7 games with the Flames! It wasn't like he never got to the NHL.

I feel like most of the coaches caught up in this--except for Peters--can rehabilitate themselves enough to get work in the NHL. Babcock will give it some time, do a sit down interview with one of the media shills about how he's done some thinking and reflected and realized he has to change and treat people better duduh duduh duduh. And then he'll probably get a job. But Peters, because of what he said, would just to way too much of a PR disaster for any team to want to put with.

I think it is also a level of media savvy. Babcock knows how to spin stuff, but nothing about Peters is remotely lovable, and he isn't charismatic.

The other thing about Peters is that for all his tactics, he doesn't even seem to get results? He just lost in Carolina, and as soon as he left they took off and became one of the best teams in the conference. And he coached a stacked Calgary to a first-place finish that culminated in a brutal first-round upset, and then a season that got off to a disastrous start, and that was it.

I thought he was doomed to get fired this year, but not because of something he had done elsewhere.

I never liked the hire, but then it was like when they hired Keenan based on success he'd had years ago. There was a lot of stuff to like on paper, but his record in Carolina was not good, so I was wondering why Treliving was so obsessed with him.

I found Franzen's comments interesting because they revealed this whole veneer that was built around Mike Babcock. He wasn't just hard on his players, but a terrible person in general who would go off on random people who just worked at the arena. For almost two decades he upheld this perception of himself as a sage, teacher, mental health advocate, charmer with the media, etc.

This has also revealed a lot about the media. Bob McKenzie was on a Vancouver station, and he and the host exchanged stories about how they'd both heard Babcock was loathed in Detroit by the end of his tenure, that the players tried to get him fired after every season, and the organization in general was happy to see him go. It's quite amazing for someone like Bob McKenzie to claim to have known all this all along and just sit on it...

That bit was weird to me because usually when a team hates a coach they are losing not winning.

Babcock talked himself into a massively big Leafs contract and no one ever said hey he's a big jerk! Um...OK then.

Unfortunately, Baertschi is back in the AHL again, and will probably soon be getting a new fresh start with another organization.

His attitude has been great though. He never complains, even when the team sent him down right after this birth of his first child. Everyone who's run in to him has said how friendly he is. And he and his wife did a fundraiser a while ago where they spent a night in an animal rescue shelter to raise money. Baertschi just seems like the sweetest person ever. **** Bob Hartley, I cannot stand him.

Poor Baertschi. Things don't work out easily for him.

re: Hartley. Aw, you know, like, he was good for a, you know, like great quote, you know? And I wouldn't have missed the line brawl for the WORLD. :ph34rwave:

Yeah, as soon as media people started saying this was just the beginning and other coaches were going to be named, the first name I thought of was the Sutters. The thing where the Kings locked the dressing room so Darryl couldn't get in came to mind.

I did think an attack on the Sutters is opening a big tin of worms, because there are so many of them at all levels of hockey.

That was one of my favourite bits. If he were my coach I'd lock the door too.

Lol a Lucic goal. At least James Neal only has... 14. I can't believe Treliving did that trade. Was he high when Holland called him?

I quite like Lucic. And he scored again. In fairness, last year Neal did NOTHING interesting and was not a high scoring player. They demoted him off the top lines, and I think that did not help. I don't think he liked it here.

WOO!

Calgary beat the Colorado Avalanche in OT. How sweet it is! :sorcerer: 5-4. 5th win in a row.

So we're now at five coaches fired in the last two weeks.

Peter DeBoer feels harsh. He makes really smart lineup decisions. I'd take him coaching the Canucks in a second. They're in this mess because the goalies are awful. You can argue the GM has done more good than bad in his time there, but the goaltending mess is his fault and isn't likely to change with a new coach. I like how we're at the point where the Sharks had to clarify that he wasn't fired for anything abusive, racist, or sexual--just for losing games.

And there was Jim Montgomery in Dallas, a team that was doing pretty well under him. They won't say why they fired him, but we know it's not in the same genre as the Bill Peters firing and that he wasn't abusive to his players. We know he did/was doing something unprofessional that alarmed other people in the organization, and I've heard it was something illegal (I don't know whether that means against CBA rules or actually illegal). I think it's obvious if you read between the lines. I guess we'll find out eventually.

He played 7 games with the Flames! It wasn't like he never got to the NHL.

Oh yeah. That's good he rallied. Still, Bill Peters is a dink for how he treated him.

I think it is also a level of media savvy. Babcock knows how to spin stuff, but nothing about Peters is remotely lovable, and he isn't charismatic.

I never liked the hire, but then it was like when they hired Keenan based on success he'd had years ago. There was a lot of stuff to like on paper, but his record in Carolina was not good, so I was wondering why Treliving was so obsessed with him.

He also looks kind of ridiculous. I don't know why, but I'm distrustful of men 50+ who have mops like his.

I'm guessing Peters was in demand despite his time in Carolina because he'd spent so much time with Babcock before that. Babcock still had hockey royalty status back then. The idea that anyone who worked for a coveted coach will have success running their own team seems to be not very valid. It's been disproven with all of Bill Belichick's disciples in the NFL, too.

I did think an attack on the Sutters is opening a big tin of worms, because there are so many of them at all levels of hockey.

A lot of Canucks fan think Brandon Sutter should have to answer for the "allegations." I don't seem to recall Brandon being a coach. Why is it his fault he comes from that culture? He's overpaid and overused, but by all accounts, he's a very respected veteran on a rookie Canucks team.

I quite like Lucic. And he scored again. In fairness, last year Neal did NOTHING interesting and was not a high scoring player. They demoted him off the top lines, and I think that did not help. I don't think he liked it here.

WOO!

Calgary beat the Colorado Avalanche in OT. How sweet it is! :sorcerer: 5-4. 5th win in a row.

I have found them. The one person who likes Milan Lucic!

He reminds me of a caveman.

The Flames are on the quite the roll since being forced to fire the coach they didn't want to fire.

The Canucks have won 3/4. Losing to Toronto in your own building sucks. That's usually the hottest ticket of the year, but apparently there were 600 unsold seats. I guess people don't have hundreds of spare dollars this close to Christmas, and most Canucks fans don't want to pay the prices for that game to go sit with a bunch of Leafs fans that take over your arena. The Oilers/Leafs game this Saturday still has unsold tickets, too.

Canucks outplayed the Leafs too and lost 4-1. But Jacob Markstrom rebounded last night with a 43-save shutout against Carolina, in a game the Canucks got badly outplayed. Hockey is weird.

I was no kind of Tim Thomas fan, but it's heartbreaking to read about what he's going through.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/what-is-norma...amage-1.4728345

WASHINGTON -- Doctors told Tim Thomas that two-thirds of his brain were getting less than 5 per cent blood flow and the other third was averaging about 50 per cent.

His wife, Melissa, and oldest daughter, Kiley, started crying. Thomas didn’t react — because he couldn’t process what he was hearing.

“I couldn’t believe it because I couldn’t function well enough to understand it,” he said.

The NHL and Gary Bettman's position remains that there is no correlation between playing in the NHL and the brain damage so many of its retired players have experienced/died from.

Edited by RWG

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas! :santahappy:

I have found them. The one person who likes Milan Lucic!

He reminds me of a caveman.

He's a hardworking caveman... :P

The Flames are on the quite the roll since being forced to fire the coach they didn't want to fire.

And then they lost a bunch of games. :ph34r:

Lost to Pittsburgh 4-1, and the Sun the next day had the headline "Sunk by the Burgh". :P And that was without Crosby, and Malkin had the flu.

Lost to Montreal 3-1 in OT.

Beat Dallas 5-1.

Lost to Minnesota 3-0. Minnesota often has our number.

The Canucks have won 3/4. Losing to Toronto in your own building sucks. That's usually the hottest ticket of the year, but apparently there were 600 unsold seats. I guess people don't have hundreds of spare dollars this close to Christmas, and most Canucks fans don't want to pay the prices for that game to go sit with a bunch of Leafs fans that take over your arena. The Oilers/Leafs game this Saturday still has unsold tickets, too.

Canucks outplayed the Leafs too and lost 4-1. But Jacob Markstrom rebounded last night with a 43-save shutout against Carolina, in a game the Canucks got badly outplayed. Hockey is weird.

Calgary won over Toronto 4-2, and there were lots of Leafs in the Saddledome, and apparently a fight broke out because the commentators could see it from their box, and said that security was going to have to break it up. LOL.

I was no kind of Tim Thomas fan, but it's heartbreaking to read about what he's going through.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/what-is-norma...amage-1.4728345

The NHL and Gary Bettman's position remains that there is no correlation between playing in the NHL and the brain damage so many of its retired players have experienced/died from.

Wow. That's terrible. I had no idea it was that bad.

Hmm. Watched World Juniors and didn't expect good things after watching Canada play the first period. Kind of surprised. :flowers:

Edited by Mysteriosa

Merry Christmas! :santahappy:

Happy Xmas.

And then they lost a bunch of games. :ph34r:

Lost to Pittsburgh 4-1, and the Sun the next day had the headline "Sunk by the Burgh". :P And that was without Crosby, and Malkin had the flu.

Lost to Montreal 3-1 in OT.

Beat Dallas 5-1.

Lost to Minnesota 3-0. Minnesota often has our number.

Calgary won over Toronto 4-2, and there were lots of Leafs in the Saddledome, and apparently a fight broke out because the commentators could see it from their box, and said that security was going to have to break it up. LOL.

Wow. That's terrible. I had no idea it was that bad.

Hmm. Watched World Juniors and didn't expect good things after watching Canada play the first period. Kind of surprised. :flowers:

Canucks are always two steps forward, two steps back. Their season seemed like it was on the brink of slipping away a bit over a week ago, but they rallied with three straight wins at home over Vegas, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton.

The Canucks and Oilers are now done their season series (2-2) while the Flames and Oilers haven't even played yet this year.

Speaking of fights, I saw a video of a group of old Canadiens fans fighting a group of Flames fans in the Saddledome concourse. A bunch of adults were just standing around watching. It looked like middle school. Leafs fans are bad, but Habs fans are just insufferably obnoxious when they take over another team's arena.

I'm going to the Canucks game tomorrow night! In Vancouver!

Edited by RWG

Canucks beat the Kings 3-2 on Saturday in Vancouver. I was there! Jake scored, and Motte and Pettersson scored too. Really fun night.

Beat the Flames 5-2 tonight in Calgary. This was probably one of their best games of the year, even if Rittich was really bad for the Flames. Jake scored again. It's taken a really long time, but he is finally coming along.

Two weeks ago everyone wanted Benning and Green fired. Suddenly they've won five in a row and are in second place in the Pacific. I'm still skeptical about this being a playoff team -- I think they might be good enough to get a wild-card spot, maybe -- but it's a weak division and really who knows.

Canucks now have six straight wins. :o

At the midway point (41 games played), we are 3rd in the Pacific with games in hand on all the other teams in the division (4 back of Vegas with three games in hand, 2 back of Arizona with 2 games in hand, two ahead of Edmonton and Calgary with two games in hand on both).

This team is going to have to slug it out until the end; I'd still expect them to cool off and barely miss the playoffs, which was my prediction at the start of the season. But most were ready to put a fork in them two weeks ago, and now they're right back in it.

• 2 weeks later...

:w00twave:

I had a wicked cold after Christmas. I didn't do much of anything, except feeling dizzy. :no:

Flames beat the Oilers yesterday, again, 4-3. :flowers: :spaz:

They had a Fathers trip where the players take a family member with them, and won all the games. Perhaps the fathers should just go everywhere with them.

For Jan, they beat the Rangers, Minnesota, Chicago, Minnesota again, and Edmonton.

Sadness. Frolik wanted a fresh start and was traded to the Sabres. Sniff. I liked him.

Did I see the Canucks lost to Tampa 9-2? What?

This week the weather is going down to -28 C and -33 at night. :shiver:

:w00twave:

I had a wicked cold after Christmas. I didn't do much of anything, except feeling dizzy. :no:

Flames beat the Oilers yesterday, again, 4-3. :flowers: :spaz:

They had a Fathers trip where the players take a family member with them, and won all the games. Perhaps the fathers should just go everywhere with them.

For Jan, they beat the Rangers, Minnesota, Chicago, Minnesota again, and Edmonton.

Sadness. Frolik wanted a fresh start and was traded to the Sabres. Sniff. I liked him.

Did I see the Canucks lost to Tampa 9-2? What?

This week the weather is going down to -28 C and -33 at night. :shiver:

I had a "cold" the last week. I get the same 2-4 bugs a year that most adults get, but this last one... sweet mother of God. I can't ever remember having something this nasty. I'm almost better now but I was starting to think it was something serious.

Yeah the Canucks lost a game 9-2 (a game I was too sick to watch, thankfully). Our 7-game winning streak ended with two straight losses in Tampa and Florida. But they rebounded this weekend with wins in Buffalo and Minnesota. One more on this road trip in Winnipeg, where the Canucks absolutely never ever win.

I watched the 3rd of the Oilers/Flames game last night. Oilers fans sure hate Tkachuk now. Sounds like Kassian might get suspended though. It was actually a great game. The battle of Alberta is officially back on.

I had a "cold" the last week. I get the same 2-4 bugs a year that most adults get, but this last one... sweet mother of God. I can't ever remember having something this nasty. I'm almost better now but I was starting to think it was something serious.

One Christmas I had the flu and it felt like I'd been poisoned! Bleh.

I think my cold is trying to make a comeback. :/ And it is SO COLD OUTSIDE.

Yeah the Canucks lost a game 9-2 (a game I was too sick to watch, thankfully). Our 7-game winning streak ended with two straight losses in Tampa and Florida. But they rebounded this weekend with wins in Buffalo and Minnesota. One more on this road trip in Winnipeg, where the Canucks absolutely never ever win.

That's the sort of game it pays to miss. :P

Flames played a terrible game vs Montreal, who had that slacker Carey Price in net. We were doomed. Lost 2-1.

I watched the 3rd of the Oilers/Flames game last night. Oilers fans sure hate Tkachuk now. Sounds like Kassian might get suspended though. It was actually a great game. The battle of Alberta is officially back on.

He's public enemy no. 1 now in Edmonton. Some Calgary fans wanted to buy a billboard in Edmonton with a picture of Tkachuk and possibly the words "Friendship Tour". :rofl:

I listened to that game, so I had to wait to see the video. Kassian punched him pretty good. Kassian was suspended 2 games. There was an interview clip from James Neal today who said Tkachuk's hit(s) was not acceptable in today's NHL. He lined up Kassian after he came back from the 10 min misconduct too. Tkachuk looked very quiet when the press asked him about why he didn't fight. He looked really uncomfortable! Hmm.

(Sidenote, Eric Francis the other week claimed Neal was a limited talent who was no good with teammates in the dressing room. That must be why he scores all the time now we traded him. :rolleyes: He also tried to claim that fans would boo Neal at the game and a 'real' fan would boo Adam Fox when he came by, because Fox didn't want to come here. I am like, are you serious now? No one cares. Fox was aeons ago and fans wanted to get rid of Neal, until it turned out he still knew how to make goals.)

For ages both teams lost so much it couldn't be called a battle. It's nice to see some scandal. :P

Flames play the Leafs Thursday.

I heard Tortorella had done something. It seems like he ranted at officials, and now has to pay $20 000. Ow.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:54 PM, Mysteriosa said:

One Christmas I had the flu and it felt like I'd been poisoned! Bleh.

I think my cold is trying to make a comeback. :/ And it is SO COLD OUTSIDE.

That's the sort of game it pays to miss. :P

Flames played a terrible game vs Montreal, who had that slacker Carey Price in net. We were doomed. Lost 2-1.

He's public enemy no. 1 now in Edmonton. Some Calgary fans wanted to buy a billboard in Edmonton with a picture of Tkachuk and possibly the words "Friendship Tour". :rofl:

I listened to that game, so I had to wait to see the video. Kassian punched him pretty good. Kassian was suspended 2 games. There was an interview clip from James Neal today who said Tkachuk's hit(s) was not acceptable in today's NHL. He lined up Kassian after he came back from the 10 min misconduct too. Tkachuk looked very quiet when the press asked him about why he didn't fight. He looked really uncomfortable! Hmm.

(Sidenote, Eric Francis the other week claimed Neal was a limited talent who was no good with teammates in the dressing room. That must be why he scores all the time now we traded him. :rolleyes: He also tried to claim that fans would boo Neal at the game and a 'real' fan would boo Adam Fox when he came by, because Fox didn't want to come here. I am like, are you serious now? No one cares. Fox was aeons ago and fans wanted to get rid of Neal, until it turned out he still knew how to make goals.)

For ages both teams lost so much it couldn't be called a battle. It's nice to see some scandal. :P

Flames play the Leafs Thursday.

I heard Tortorella had done something. It seems like he ranted at officials, and now has to pay $20 000. Ow.

Woah, new UI. It is... not intuitive.

I think the bar for firing NHL coaches is starting to get ridiculous, and Gallant's firing is probably the oddest one yet. But I kind of don't fault them because Vegas should realistically be 15 points clear of this dogpile.

0VzZRjf.png

The Canucks have won 11 of 14 and are somehow entering their break as the division leaders.

The Battle of Alberta is definitely back. With all the warnings, I don't think anything major will happen on the 29th (maybe late in the game), but there's a rematch three days later that I suspect will be a royal mess.

I'm not surprised Francis is still being a shameless shill about this whole thing. Mind you, all the guys on the Edmonton side are being just as bad. I think a fight in the press box might break out on the 29th.

Tortorella was mad because too much time came off the clock after a whistle, which he thinks resulted in his team's goal being called off because it was after the buzzer, which resulted in his goalie getting injured later. There is usually some nuggets of truth in Torts' rants, but this one was silly.

1. Has Tortorella heard of the time-space continuum? The butterfly effect? If the time doesn't come off the clock, the whole sequence of events leading to his team's goal that was too late doesn't happen. It doesn't mean the goal is just moved up by the amount of time that elapsed after the whistle blew. Same for the injury.

2. The wrong amount of time comes off the clock after literally every whistle. They don't review it every single time because it would disrupt the pace of play and makes games substantially longer. But we only have to talk about this when it affects John Tortorella.

It is horribly cold in Toronto too. Even colder than Calgary (I just checked). I miss BC. Vancouver and Victoria got snow a week ago and both cities basically shut down for two days.

Edited by RWG

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, RWG said:

Woah, new UI. It is... not intuitive.

I think the bar for firing NHL coaches is starting to get ridiculous, and Gallant's firing is probably the oddest one yet. But I kind of don't fault them because Vegas should realistically be 15 points clear of this dogpile.

0VzZRjf.png

The Canucks have won 11 of 14 and are somehow entering their break as the division leaders.

The Battle of Alberta is definitely back. With all the warnings, I don't think anything major will happen on the 29th (maybe late in the game), but there's a rematch three days later that I suspect will be a royal mess.

I'm not surprised Francis is still being a shameless shill about this whole thing. Mind you, all the guys on the Edmonton side are being just as bad. I think a fight in the press box might break out on the 29th.

Tortorella was mad because too much time came off the clock after a whistle, which he thinks resulted in his team's goal being called off because it was after the buzzer, which resulted in his goalie getting injured later. There is usually some nuggets of truth in Torts' rants, but this one was silly.

1. Has Tortorella heard of the time-space continuum? The butterfly effect? If the time doesn't come off the clock, the whole sequence of events leading to his team's goal that was too late doesn't happen. It doesn't mean the goal is just moved up by the amount of time that elapsed after the whistle blew. Same for the injury.

2. The wrong amount of time comes off the clock after literally every whistle. They don't review it every single time because it would disrupt the pace of play and makes games substantially longer. But we only have to talk about this when it affects John Tortorella.

It is horribly cold in Toronto too. Even colder than Calgary (I just checked). I miss BC. Vancouver and Victoria got snow a week ago and both cities basically shut down for two days.

Whoah.  New technology.  Shiny.  

The All Star game is something I always avoid so really both me and the Flames took time off.  Meanwhile the weather warmed up a lot, so that's great.  God bless you, Chinook winds.🐧  Hmm.  I miss the old emojis, but now I've got penguins, so there's that.

:spaz:  Oh wait.  They are still here.  Well most of them.  You have to scroll to the bottom of the emojis.  Sweet. :woodstock:  

So Giordano, Rittich and Tkachuk went to the All Star Game.  

The Flames spent a week promising they wouldn't screw up after the break.

Then they played St. Louis Tuesday and lost in a shootout.  They did hang in there for most of the game though, and to be honest, St. Louis is better than we are. :stealth:  Talbot was playing in goal.  

1. Has Tortorella heard of the time-space continuum? 

No.

Quoting is going to take me more work, LOL.  Maybe cutting and pasting it is easier.  

And now, a badger.  🦡   Seriously, what is that for?  I have found fire, 🔥, which is like a Flames related thing.  And then St. Louis did this:  🌧️☔  :stud:

Calgary Flames won over the Oilers 4-3 in a shootout on Wednesday.  Monahan fought Nugent-Hopkins!  :shock:   Monahan never fights people. 

Then Tkachuk fought Kassian. 

It was a very satisfying game.

Next Battle of Alberta tonight in Calgary!